What do you know about iodine?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mandiemoo, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mandiemoo

mandiemoo Senior Member+

i read in my friends horse vet bible book that iodine is very bad for horses wounds. what it does is it kills the white blood cells and can actually chemically poison the horse. they said the only thing that iodine should be used for is spraying it on the sole and frog of a horses foot to aid with thrush.

i found this very interesting, has anyone read or heard of anything like this at all??

2. shakti21

shakti21 Banned

Well I dont know how true it is. But it is about the only thing I trust to treat wounds with and i had two vets recomend it to me a few weeks ago when my filly cut herself. I would only use 1-2% iodine though. Anything stronger might do what you describe but it is not designed for use as an anticeptic in those concentrations, like betadine for instance. Its designed to be used as a scrub or shampoo then and not for open wounds.

But like I said, its about all i trust.

3. ThePerfectFit

ThePerfectFit Senior Member

I've never heard that. But iodine should ALWAYS be used on the umbilical nub of a foal.

4. SaddleUp158

SaddleUp158 Senior Member+

Never put straight iodine on a wound or fungus! There was a girl at the barn I boarded at last year that put straight iodine on a fungus all over the horse and ended up burning his skin. So the horse was worse off after the iodine than before. It took forever to heal up. If you need iodine for something I would use betadine or viodine.

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member+

I believe what they are referring to is straight iodine, which should not touch your horse. It does kill white blood cells and make the situation worse. But we routinely rinse cuts, fungus and anything that needs disinfecting with betadine, which is a povidone-iodine antiseptic cleanser. I can't remember what % of iodine it is but it is rather small.

6. Junior

Junior Senior Member

I always water it down alot, to tea colour. That's the way it has always been done around me and it's never caused a problem!

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

7% and 10% iodine formulas, usually called Betadine, are appropriate for horses, with the 10% best left in vets' hands.

Use as much as necessary but as little as possible. Even 7% is still quite caustic. It's great for cleaning fresh wounds, and as needed makes a great daily wound flushing when mixed with water to make a solution that looks like very weak tea.

8. Jekka_Lynn

Jekka_Lynn Full Member

lol, as little as possible ? My vet practically baptizes newborns he uses so much iodine! He uses iodine on everything! And he always uses loads of it when he does use it. Lol, since the vet owns the barn I work at he treats all the horses and it is a running joke at the barn that any newborn foal atour barn is baptized with iodine.

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

It has actually been shown that iodine (are you SURE he's putting straight iodine on a navel? I hope not!!!) is very drying to the umbilical and can actually cause problems by drying it out, making it crack, and allowing bacteria to get in. A much safer, milder, but still very effective remedy is to use Tea Tree Oil.

Yes, as little as possible because it's VERY caustic.

But when you're dealing with fresh wounds, using the 10% betadine is necessary to really kill anything in there that shouldn't be in there, and yes it DOES also kill healthy cells in the process - hence "as much as necessary, as little as possible."

10. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

Yep, stronger concentrations of iodine are very hard on tissues. We've had a foal come in where the barn manager got the bottles mixed up and was putting the iodine that was for treating the soles of the feet on a newborn's umbilical stump. The foal had a nasty chemical burn from the iodine.

READ LABELS before you put anything on your animal.