What do you guys think of this Friesian cross?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kanekee, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kanekee

Kanekee Registered

He's a 3 year old Azteca/Friesian, he's so cute!

Attached Files:

2. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

Whew, look at that mane!

I'm certainly no conformation expert, but at a first glance I like him. Nice short back and muscled hindquarters, legs look pretty clean. It may be the footing, but he looks a tad downhill - though I'd think he would grow a little more given his age.

Are you looking at buying him?

Kanekee likes this.
  3. Kanekee

Kanekee Registered

I was asking for confirmation don't worry haha. Yeah I'm planning on buying him, I saw him and immediately fell in love.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't like his short sloping pasterns behind. His head is a little wonky for his body and he's uneven in his hip and shoulder angle with a huge shoulder and smaller less angular hip angle. How old is he? Coming three?

5. Kanekee

Kanekee Registered

Yeah he's still a baby, barely turned 3

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If you send him to a good trainer who know how to break a horse the right way without forcing him to accept things, but instead 'trains' him to accept things, you will end up with a very cute and cooperative little horse, there.

Varisha, Friesiangirl and Arem like this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Every horse should have a pre-purchase exam....this horse in particular horse needs to have his hocks examined carefully.
    Friesian horses are well known for skin issues and this horse looks like it has some bumps that may be hives.

8. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

I don't know, I'm not a huge fan, he has a cute head/mane, but something about the way he is built is just not my taste personally.

9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

He looks course/rough to me. He has a huge neck and head. I'm not sure I like the look in his eye. I get a sense of stubbornness.

He needs some TLC.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Friesians can certainly be stubborn/dull/pushy. He'll need a good trainer to bring out the willing, mannerly partner that Friesians can be. If he doesn't get that, he could easily turn into a fence-pushing annoyance/danger.

Basically, Friesians and crosses are awesome horses when very well trained (and maintained) and terrible when they aren't.

Some of his awkwardness could just be that Friesians mature slowly. Hard to say at this point.

If OP has the money for a good trainer and a little time to allow him to grow some more before he's saddle broke and trained, he could be fun to play around on. High level material? Probably not. Good trail/hey-let's-try-this-for-giggles horse? Why not.

Curly_Horse_CMT and manesntails like this.