What do you feed your horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LoveMyHorsyyyyy, Dec 16, 2009.

1. LoveMyHorsyyyyy

LoveMyHorsyyyyy Senior Member+

What do you think is good to feed your horse? When we get our ranch I want to know what to feed our horses on a daily schedule. I know that you use beet pulp and stuff like that but usually not on a daily schedule. Thanks for your help.

2. PiaffePony0412

PiaffePony0412 Senior Member+

What to feed a horse really depends on a number of things.

Some horses don't need any feed, and are fine just being on pasture 24/7, or that plus some hay.

What is it you want to do with your horses? What kind of horses?

My horses personally eat Whole Oats, Rice Bran and Beet Pulp everyday twice a day- I have found that this is good for them for the work load and pasture schedule I have them on. They are stalled 12 hours, on grass 12 hours (right now with a round bale because it is winter), and get hay at night.

-Piaffepony0412

3. Just Bitten

Just Bitten Senior Member

Well some ppl use beet pulp on a more daily basis for older horses..here,each horse has a different need..now that im down to two,a senior and a n/h show mare,I feed purina senior and 12% country acres.I feed sho glo(by manna pro) also.Senior has beet pulp in it i think.the 12% is a pelleted sweet feed..not the best for a n/h but she does good on it.and they are on grass 24/7.

It all depend,how old,how much work,body score,ect for each horse..

If your looking for an all around feed I heard strategy was a good feed..I fed it but it is a bit pricy but no problems with it..

4. Just Bitten

Just Bitten Senior Member

sorry lol didnt mean to copy you..i typed at the same time as you i guess..but yes i agree it all depends

5. OhSoAppy

OhSoAppy Senior Member+

As the posters above said, it really does depend on the horses.

Where my horses are at, the pasture when they get turnout is more for their mental enjoyment....the forage is not at all appropriate to keep them healthy or sustain a healthy weight.

People have hit and miss experiences with Strategy, but I have had nothing but good luck with it. I also feed a Timothy/Brome hay mix, generally 2-3 flakes twice a day, depending on the weight.

I also do supplement. My older mare gets Corta-Flx Rx , and if I worked her hard, I give her a dose of Hyalun gel. She was on Smart Pak UltraFlexIII(and it did work quite well with her)....but this system seems to be working even better for her. She also gets SmartCalm Ultra from smartpak.

The other two get UltraFlex for general joint care.

6. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member+

It all depends on the horses and what works well for you!

Me personally, love the way my horses have done on KENT Dynasty Show horse feed. Will I ever change them? NOPE.
    I tried using Triple Crown and Buckeye and ration balancers. Didn't think there was that much of a difference in the horses, sure was in how much I was spending on them though!

My horses get grass hay when they don't have pasture. :)

Like I said and others said though, it depends on different things! :)

7. LoveMyHorsyyyyy

LoveMyHorsyyyyy Senior Member+

Im back online now. Right now I have one quarter horse(5 years old). We will have 2 more paints( probably around 10 years old) and my old horse we sold ritzy QH (of course if we get her back.)

Do you think LMF senior, and alfalfa hay is alright? Do you suggest a diff. kind of hay? My trainer choses what my horse eats so I don't really know. BTW they will all live in stalls with a paddock (except Ritzy)

8. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

My gelding is on Purina's Equine Senior twice a day with water added to it (due to previous health issues).
    All of my mares are on Purina's Strategy twice a day.
    And eveyone gets grass hay 3 times a day.
    I also have 1 mare on a joint supplement which I give to her at night (just put it right on top of her grain), and everyone gets daily de-wormer, as well as a dose of Sand Clear the first week of every month.

9. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

Can you get timothy or orchard grass? Bermuda? My QH would explode if I fed him straight alfalfa. Of my 5, only my two seniors (28 and 33) get more than a flake of alfalfa a day.

I also would not personally do senior for a horse who is less than 15, especially as I know the LMF Senior is a complete feed (fed in place of grain and forage). My guy (and my other 2 competition age horses) are on LMF's Ration Balancer, Super Supplement. There is great info in the Health section about Ration Balancers.

10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

I agree on the grass hay. my normal dead broke / bomb proof WP QH gelding gets WHACKO on even a small amount of alfalfa!!