What do you do

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by My horses, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM.

1. My horses

My horses Full Member

What do you do when you ride your horse? I will start I barrel race pole bend flag race etc. I no some of you saw this:)

WesternRider22 likes this.
  2. Miniaturehorseloverr

Miniaturehorseloverr Registered

When I ride my showjumping horses, I have two jumping lessons and one dressage lesson a week. Apart from this, I usually do simply flat work. With my western pleasure horses, pretty self explanatory :ROFLMAO:

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

When I ride? Well usually put on the tack and get on, other wise I would be doing ground work!

Do you mean what discipline, style etc, or what?

GONE ROPING, Larkspade and meljean like this.
  4. My horses

My horses Full Member

(y)

5. My horses

My horses Full Member

Like do you jump or barrle race

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'm totally retired from horses, unfortunately, from being injured by a misplaced flu shot that ruined my right rotator cuff. Can't lift stuff anymore.

I used to train Standardbred race horses, for 20+ years. Before that I worked for 8 years with my Uncle's stable taking riders on trail, retraining horses, and putting miles on green horses. After race horses I had horses and Mules for riding and driving, trained some mini horses and ponies to drive and ponies and horses in groundwork and finish training.

No horses or mules to ride anymore. Old age and injury prohibits it.

WesternRider22 and meljean like this.
  7. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Nothing anymore. As Manes said age and injury keeps me from doing anything but let them be pink flamingos.

Before got laid up, worked WP barn for several years, and hauled for another, before that worked with Thoroughbred breeding farm for 8 years, and helped some at Racking Horse, groomed in Saddlebred barns off and on for many years, worked at cutting and ranch horse operation, worked at lesson barn/boarding barn, gave lessons with my own horses, did charity events with my own horses, trained Shetlands as a child, catch groomed, owned 15 head at one point, now done to the 2 I have now.

Been doing this a long, long time. And now that I have no one pulling my strings, cannot take the physical labor anymore.

manesntails and Larkspade like this.
  8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

we mainly do huntseat, while branching off into some reining and saddleseat. all at open show level. we will do speed occasionally and trail riding

9. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

I mostly just do trail or pleasure riding.
    I want to start taking barrel racing lessons.

10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Right now I have two horses and no time. I ride Sparky mainly Western and most of what I do with him is trail ride. I sometimes ride in the arenas with him - just walk/jog/lope work for the fun of it. We don't show or anything - he's my pleasure horse.

Bella is my wannabe dressage horse. I'm not taking lessons right now because I haven't got the time to work on anything I learned. So I try to work on what we've gained from the lessons we were taking. She's pretty much training level but we haven't competed as yet. Every year I say "this year" but it's always something.