1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What do you consider a young horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MelissaH, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

I always hear people speak of young horses, as far as experience and training goes. What do you consider young? I know that age really does not matter as much as how much experience goes. You could have a 10 year old with little or no experience or a 5 year old that has 1000's of miles on him.

What I am speaking of is at what age is a horse considered "sensible" and "thoughtful?" When does intelligence kick in and the baby recead?

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

I would consider a young horse, typically, to be 6 years or under. However, I would consider a mature horse to be 11 years or older. 7-10 is kind of a gray area. And of course those lines do blend together much of the time. But as a generalization, those numbers are what I see.

3. TrickPony

TrickPony Senior Member+

In my personal opinion, 4 years old is when a horse stops acting like a moron half the time and starts realising that the world at large is not after him.

I also think that alot of it is how you treat your horse. I expect my horses to be sensible and not ridiculous, and for the mostpart they aren't spooky, don't have major issues, etc. etc.
    However, I see alot of riders who say "Oh, my horse doesn't like going over bridges or through water or in the trailer or by that scary barrel in the arena, so I just don't do it". That, in my opinion, is just opening the door for your horse to act like a moron - because you're not showing him "the way" really.

4. cjohns

cjohns Senior Member

I think horses hit their maturity at about 10yrs old. That's what I've heard. You know what to expect from them at that age.

5. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

i consider a young horse 5 and under. when i was taking a class in collge we called horses five and under young, cause horse get a full mouth of teeth at the age of five.

6. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I have found that most horses stop pulling the "baby" stuff when they turn four. But, I have had an 11 year old that I considered a 2 year old, he had no handling or training and acted like it.

7. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

I am just wondering wear Dubie falls into the scheme of things. He's 6 1/2 and very sensible, mellow, laid back...takes things in stride.

8. Just_me

Just_me Senior Member+

Usually Horses are physically and mentally grown up when they are 6.Anything under 6 is young.some horse are mature sooner tho.