What do you consider a young horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MelissaH, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

I always hear people speak of young horses, as far as experience and training goes. What do you consider young? I know that age really does not matter as much as how much experience goes. You could have a 10 year old with little or no experience or a 5 year old that has 1000's of miles on him.

What I am speaking of is at what age is a horse considered "sensible" and "thoughtful?" When does intelligence kick in and the baby recead?

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

I would consider a young horse, typically, to be 6 years or under. However, I would consider a mature horse to be 11 years or older. 7-10 is kind of a gray area. And of course those lines do blend together much of the time. But as a generalization, those numbers are what I see.

3. TrickPony

TrickPony Senior Member+

In my personal opinion, 4 years old is when a horse stops acting like a moron half the time and starts realising that the world at large is not after him.

I also think that alot of it is how you treat your horse. I expect my horses to be sensible and not ridiculous, and for the mostpart they aren't spooky, don't have major issues, etc. etc.
    However, I see alot of riders who say "Oh, my horse doesn't like going over bridges or through water or in the trailer or by that scary barrel in the arena, so I just don't do it". That, in my opinion, is just opening the door for your horse to act like a moron - because you're not showing him "the way" really.

4. cjohns

cjohns Senior Member

I think horses hit their maturity at about 10yrs old. That's what I've heard. You know what to expect from them at that age.

5. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

i consider a young horse 5 and under. when i was taking a class in collge we called horses five and under young, cause horse get a full mouth of teeth at the age of five.

6. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I have found that most horses stop pulling the "baby" stuff when they turn four. But, I have had an 11 year old that I considered a 2 year old, he had no handling or training and acted like it.

7. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

I am just wondering wear Dubie falls into the scheme of things. He's 6 1/2 and very sensible, mellow, laid back...takes things in stride.

8. Just_me

Just_me Senior Member+

Usually Horses are physically and mentally grown up when they are 6.Anything under 6 is young.some horse are mature sooner tho.