What do we think of my chocolate palomino colt?

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by GalvestonJRB, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GalvestonJRB

GalvestonJRB Registered

He has a small 1 finger umbilical hernia per vets instructions we are waiting until 10 months to see if it will heal on its own any (we started at a 2 finger hernia)
    He was born April 8, 2018 out of a sorrel Frenchman guy x fire water flint mare by Palo duro cat.
    How does he look confirmation wise?] 20181003_165218.jpg 20181003_165112.jpg Screenshot_20180921-185232.png

Attached Files:

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It’s impossible to tell much of anything from those pictures. You can’t judge conformation off of movement and the standing shots are not set up in a way that flatters him or enables a good critique at all.

Also, being young, he’s going to go throw all kinds of awkward stages. It’s hard to accurately assess a foal.

It sounds like he’s bred well. Enjoy him. :) He should grow up to be a heck of a barrel horse.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. GalvestonJRB

GalvestonJRB Registered

Yes the photos are poor quality my camera was broken on the back of my phone so all i had was the front camera
    It's really horrible for photos I'm sorry for that. 20181007_161122.jpg

Here is a photo I just snapped with my new phone!

4. GalvestonJRB

GalvestonJRB Registered

5. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

He's over at the knee and has super long pasterns. 2 things I would not even consider accepting in a barrel horse. Start him slowly and take it easy with him. He has a fairly steep croup and he's built downhill both hip to wither and knee to hock.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Read the stickie on the top of the board abt taking critical photos. That should help.

Nicely bred, cute. Long pasterns. Probably not barrel material, but decent riding stock. Enjoy-!!

manesntails likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

There is nothing about this colt, at this age, that suggests that he can’t run barrels. :rolleyes: I doubt the OP is looking for the next NFR prospect, and, even if so, find me one of those horses with flawless conformation.

Their aren’t any pictures posted that are truly suitable for a good critique in addition to the fact that critique such a young horse is unfair. He could grow into his pastures and at least some of the croup steepness is crappy pictures.

Downhill could largely be age and a growth spurt. Even if it isn’t, it’s not something that will keep him from running barrels. Heck, I’ve heard that downhill can contribute to speed. *shrug*

Anything can run barrels at a local level. Even if they’re total train wrecks. Management is the most important factor. I’ve seen some pretty ugly looking horses be successful.

emali06 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Can and should are two different things. Long pasterns aren't outgrown anymore than short, upright ones are. They just leave the liability very high for injury in sports. Logical and proven by statistics, of course there's always flukes.

A normal riding career should be fine though.

Alyssa Hughes and lucky_pine like this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

According to the people on this forum, there aren’t any horses that are conformed well enough for competition. Especially if they happen to come in a fancy colour.

And yet Im pretty sure that there isn’t a single perfectly conformed horse competing at the high levels of any sport.

NaeNae, foxtrot, 250girl and 2 others like this.
  10. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I very rarely give input on conformation, I keep to myself so do not sit there and post like I'm one of those that poo poos everyone. This horse DOES have long pasterns, he will not grow out of that. I'm also not ignorant and didn't base my croup comment on one photo. I TAKE photos, so give me a break. That horse has a steep croup and it's evident in more than one photo.

What's with the defensiveness over this horse? Do you have a personal attachment to him? Flaws are flaws. Whether he can hold up to a strenuous career or not? I don't know, and neither do you. I don't see why not as long as care is given when considering his flaws. You know, like you would do for ANY horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.