What did we do without..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, May 11, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I would guess that home owners do. Though if you´re building a house there are other options to keep it from heating up too much....
    If you´re renting you´re usually out of luck in that regard. Installing it after building is finished makes for unwieldy and expensive AC units.
    Simply put: not everyone can afford those.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

BAck on topic: personal hygiene, indoor plumbing.
    There are so many people who want to travel back in time because it is "romantic" or "wild" or "fascinating from a historic pov".
    While that may be true I cannot help but think that, at least in Middle Europe, the idea of personal hygiene was..lacking. To put it mildly. People didn´t wash regularly, didn´t wash their clothes. Some because they couldn´t afford ti but even the ich preferred using perfumes and scented powders to mask body odour than simply take a bath..
    So all I can think of when I read about some wannabe time traveller´s dream is: "..but imagine the stench!"

tlwidener and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, that crossed my mind. I always wondered how people stood it tbh. I suppose though if running water was non existent, then everyone smelled horrible too. Geez, what a nightmare. Annoint my head with oil and all that.. yuck. :(

waresbear and ginster like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I feel like newer buildings and houses just aren't built to be cool without A/C. Houses used to have things like transom windows. People oriented windows to get a cross breeze. Shade was important... trees were a priority. Even cars were built to have the windows down. My dad has a '73 Camaro without A/C. Unlike today's cars and pickups, you can cruise down the highway with the windows down on that thing and not get absolutely wind blown. It's like the air doesn't whip through it as much. I'm sure today's cars are more aero dynamic, but when I roll windows down on my pickup I HATE driving it at highway speeds. The wind whips through it and blows everything out of it.

Indoor plumbing (y) Yas. I would not want to carry all the water required for bathing and clothes washing and cooking and cleaning... Outhouses really did suck; there were places around here that still had outhouses when I was a teenager.

ginster likes this.