What could that be?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by gina1960, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

it really looks like bots .. his mouth is a little better again, apparently he had encapsulated larvae there.
    Many examinations were made, feces, skin and blood, unfortunately only after the first veterinarian gave Dectomax. There was nothing more detectable. Except in the blood were various values that point to parasites not good.
    I never saw any larvae on my legs, but in 2015 my horse was in a stable where 2 Gamargue were imported, which were completely mangled. His faeces samples have always been negative over the years and he was always dewormed with Equimax in fall / winter. Broke out the **** until January 16 after the stable change. who knows how long he has these things in himself, but there are still several horses have these symptoms in the stable where I was before.
    I had a dermatologist who was not able to find out anything except many yeast fungi, but advised me to get the DD ivermectin in consultation with my vet. Prednisolone was added.
    My veterinarian is very familiar with special types of parasites, he has typed Filaria, since he had never bumps of Dasseln. He told me on the phone yesterday that he is typing on bots. Why it got worse now as it is cooler, he also does not know exactly. Bots should really not be there after so many worm treatments, but irritations can still be around for a long time. Let's see what the Quest Plus brings now. Just hope the whole thing has

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. paval

paval Senior Member

Was thinking of your and your horse, so it is good to hear an update that his mouth appears a bit better.

So at first the vet thought maybe Filaria (neck threadworms) but is now thinking probably Bots?

Not familiar with Dasseln.

Does the vet suggest giving a probiotic since your horse has been dewormed so often as treatment? My vet always suggest giving a probiotic 2 days following deworming. Does anyone follow that practice? The one supplement my horses get has probiotics in it, so I never went out and bought a straight probiotic.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Dasseln is the german word for botfly, warbles.

Alsosusieq2, paval and manesntails like this.
  4. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

Oh, it does not stop ... Now my horse has wrinkled, oily and aching skin. It gets even better. On the side of his, he always has these lines. Moxi seems to work, but just like that? The veterinarian indicates dermatitis of the dying animals on Malassezia. Now with LimeDip, do not know if you know that, is sulfur, wash. His stomach is also bad and has a strong head shake. Now give him yogurt and my stomach tablets

It can not be bad

Attached Files:

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That looks "weird". I'm sorry though, I've zero idea what to tell you.. :(

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Since this has been going on so long, I would guess that he gets reinfected again and again.
    I am sorry you and your horse are going through this...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

It may well be that this stuff is not going away anymore or very difficult.
    Currently he does not scratch the mane anymore. his stomach is not so good and he is tired. always after 20-25min he begins to spin, runs faster, starts as if something is moving on or in him.
    the veterinarians do not know what that could be. he is now in a new box, thought maybe this brings something when he is no longer right next to the haystack, but is no change to see.
    His skin is greasy and wrinkled just like Malassezia in dogs.

8. paval

paval Senior Member

Can vet do a bacterial culture taken from affected skin??

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If this were my barn I would be treating every horse on the premise.... Oherwise the suseptible horses get infected again.

When we deworm they all get dewormed.

manesntails and ginster like this.
  10. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

Yesterday, the vet was back to visit .. he slowly does not know what the horse is missing, after days of recovery, it is worse again and the horse loses all hair on the head again. The skin biopsy results give no indication of what it could be. I wrote it down as best I can. maybe someone is smarter here than my vet :) :)

Biopsie:
    The epidermis is moderately hyperplastic with mild hyperkeratosis. In the dermis in both samples there is a slight superficial perivascular influx of lymphocytes and individual neutrophilic granulocytes.
    The hair follicles are unremarkable.
    Diagnosis: superficial perivascular dermatitis

skin scrapings:
    Left eye glans: little Malassezien
    Rear: many Malassezien
    Mane: neutrophilic and eosinophilic granulotytes
    Ears: Malassezia 2hpf
    Diagnosis: secondary malassecia dermatitis
    Treatment: Prednisolone and wash with Douxo and sulfur every 2-3 days