What could that be?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by gina1960, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

mite mites make such holes and go under the skin but so big? I do not know he does not scratch as disturbed and in mites that would be the case. have seen today that his skin on the inner leg has pink and his skin is generally white again now she is black

When he was swayed, it looked like ...

Attached Files:

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am confused. Why did you not post this on your other thread @gina1960 ?
    Same horse, same problem, right?

manesntails likes this.
  3. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

I did not even think about the post

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Now that I see the last pic, same as in the other thread, it's warbles, like I said before. They're from ingesting bot fly eggs. Nothing to do about it now. Keep the fly eggs off the horse.

5. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

Hello everyone,
    my horse has now received 3x every two weeks from Dectomax. The itching went back a bit, his skin recovered and you could work with him without it constantly freaking out as if something had stung or bitten him.
    Now the last injection Dectomax is 3 weeks ago and the symptoms are very strong, my horse is bloated, has headshaking, turns back after 20 to 30 min work, his skin is greasy and flaky. Horror ... what can that be? he had 3 double Equimax, then Quest and now Dectomax ... there's nothing left to live on after so much poison. What do you all mean? in the photo a new scar, I have cut the hair so you can see it better

Attached Files:

6. paval

paval Senior Member

Strange how some of the pics show a linear pattern.* I agree with Manes the holes look like Warble breathing holes.

(*Edited to add: I was just reading that cutaneous larva migration can cause linear lesions. Warble is a larvae!)

I'm confused though, didn't you say in the earlier posts there was no itching?? Now the most recent post sounds like there had been itching.

Anyway, I found an interesting article about "Hypoderma Bovis Infestation in Horses " (Warble fly), symptoms and treatment. Did the vet suggest an ELISA test or skin (punch) biopsies??

"Symptoms can include: Rash, Swelling in the area, Nodules, Small breathing holes from the warble, Difficulty with coordination in the limbs, Weakness in the muscles, Paralysis, Heavy bleeding or hemorrhage, Damage to the tissue"

Read more at: Hypoderma Bovis spp Infestation in Horses - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    ginster and manesntails like this.
  7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Pustules in the mouth? This sounds like VS. Vesicular stomatitis.

But now looking at the lesions, could it be two different things ?

8. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

@ paval: he always had itching

forgot that I had opened another topic about this but it was more about Onchocerca

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

When did you wash him last? Could there be some residue left that causes the itching? Or maybe it is the healing skin that itches.
    His skin looks so much better than before, so that´s something!
    Also - you are feeding probiotics, right? His digestive tract needs some help after that much dewormer, etc.

10. paval

paval Senior Member

This is where I thought you say there was no itching (to me scratching, itching... same thing):

"mite mites make such holes and go under the skin but so big? I do not know he does not scratch as disturbed and in mites that would be the case. have seen today that his skin on the inner leg has pink and his skin is generally white again now she is black"