What could that be?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by gina1960, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

I have a big problem with my horse. He has itching, does not rub big on the head and has such places on the whole body as in the pictures. No veterinarian knows what it is, except one said Filaria and treated with Dectomax. Now we give Ivermectin in 2-week interval in double dose. 2 weeks ago we gave Quest Plus, since then it has gotten worse. Today my horse had the whole mouth full of pustules and blisters as well as the inner thigh. Called the vet, he can not help me except that we continue to administer ivermectin. Maybe someone has ever seen something like that here?

Attached Files:

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'd get a new vet. The pics don't look like anything serious but if he has pustules and blisters inside his mouth, something is going on.

New vet.

KNicoleV likes this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

This might sound odd. There's a horse at a boarding stable around here that has horrible reactions to everything. So, the vet recommended the owner scale down the vaccinations and only give West Nile for a year. The horse went from hives and blisters all over her body last year to not a single reaction this year. There are some vets that have put a lot of research into these things and find that we over vaccinate horses (and other animals for that matter) and it makes them hyper sensitive.

Just a thought. Maybe next year scale down on the vacs.

foxtrot likes this.
  4. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

I already had 5 in the stable and 10 days my horse was in the clinic. Except Malassezia nothing was found. the ablutions do not help
    The problem is, in the old stable, there is not a horse left. it must be something that was there in the stable before I got into the stable my horse was healthy.
    i spent x thousands of francs and i don't like to spend more for nobody knows what it could be. slowly I am emotionally at the point where I have to say if it does not improve I have to redeem the horse.
    :mad::mad:

He had no more vaccinations, precisely because we did not know what it could be and from where this itching comes from, everything was left out.

5. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

If the reaction started after you moved your horse to a new location I would suspect environmental factors. Clean out all bedding material (straw, shaving, sawdust etc) and if possible disinfect the whole stable before putting down fresh bedding material. Wash all your horse's rugs and saddle blankets as well as they may be contaminated with whatever is causing the irritation.

Is your horse turned out on grass? Could he be having a reaction to something in the pasture? If this is a new place there may be a weed, plant, or insect that is causing the blisters in his mouth. Check all the feed as well in case it's something in the feed.

Best of luck! Hope your horse feels better soon.

Larkspade likes this.
  6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Ditto this. I had a vet before not know what he was looking at, but instead of keeping that to himself and trying something that clearly wasn't working, he brought two more vets in and they spent hours working on the horse to figure it out.

Get a vet that will do whatever he can to try and figure it out, including consulting other industry professionals.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  7. gina1960

gina1960 Full Member

I can get 2 or 3 veterinarians can not imagine that they know if they did not know in the clinic and there are over 50 veterinarians.

8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

You might just have to wait it out. Sounds like a nasty histamine reaction.

StraightandTrue and NaeNae like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He's eating and pooping and not losing weight, right?

So, it's not a fatal disease. I think it's something the horse is eating, in the forage. Try changing to a different forage, slowly, of course, and see if the symptoms go away.

bellalou, StraightandTrue and NaeNae like this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

My horse got something similar after I touched another friend's horse that had the same thing looking at it. After I fixed his diet, took him off of the corn in his diet, they went away naturally. So I feel if the horse is very healthy they will naturally get rid of it. The vaccines with the other horse probably affected its immune system too much so it couldn't fight it.

manesntails likes this.