What causes scabs in the ears????

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Paints4me, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Paints4me

Paints4me Senior Member+

My horses have been getting little scabs inside their ears... I am pretty sure somethng is bitting them... I wiped some fly wipe in them today.. that might help. What type of insect does that?? Does anybody know?? Do horses get ear mites like cats and dogs??

2. Apryle & Rayne

Apryle & Rayne Senior Member

yes horses get mites like cats and dogs. We just treat it w/ a sulfur powder stuff.

3. indiekisses985

indiekisses985 Senior Member+

Yeah, you're 100% right. Little bugs love to bite inside the ears. That's why a lot of people at my barn who don't show leave the hair in the ears to block out bugs. Fly masks with ears are great. So is rollon fly repellent.

4. Cntrysass20

Cntrysass20 Senior Member+

100% agreed. Mites, parasites, bugs. There are alot of things over the counter you can use. If I see them itching and before they rub themselves raw...I would use listerine on a cotton ball to swab the inside of the ear....kills them little bugs. Not sure you want to put listerine on scabs....might sting.

Jessie

PS--Horse itching its mane or tail?? Listerine. Unless of course, you havent dewormed lately...then that would be the first course of treatment for an itchy tail.

5. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator

Remember....leaving the hairs in the ears will not prevent the bugs from biting them.
    I always makes sure there is a bit of SWAT applied to the insides as well as a bit on the outside of the ears too.
    Please make moving the hairs aside and really checking the ears a regular part of your daily grooming routine. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  6. Paints4me

Paints4me Senior Member+

They have hair in their ears.... Becuase I don't have working clippers at the moment!! I don't like to totally shave their ears anyhow, I think they need some hair in there just to keep the dirt and wind out. I will keep the fly wipe in there.. but should I do more than that?? I check them pretty regulary.. and keep them clean, but I haden't noticed the scabs until just recently.

7. dakota's_sable

dakota's_sable Senior Member+

You're right, sandra-a1 about bugs still biting them by leaving the hair in their ears. My mare still always has the hair left in her ears but gnats still get in there and bite her. I'm working on getting her ears healed up right now before it gets too bad. I posted a thread on here earlier on bug bites and Moostang sugeested putted Vicks Vapor Rub around the rim of the ear to deter the little buggers. It's worth a shot. :)

8. tazz001

tazz001 Senior Member+

Let us know if the Vicks works...its not quite gnat season here but will be shortly and my poor donks have more ears than body! and the darn gnats just make them miserable no matter how much repelent I put on.

9. dakota's_sable

dakota's_sable Senior Member+

I will let you know how it works. :)

10. bishopsangels

bishopsangels Senior Member+

Just a suggestion,
    I know with rabbits, mites are very bad...I put some baby oil on a cotton ball and swipe thier ears with it...Mites cannot crawl, let alone breath in the oil...so maybe if the vicks rub around the ears and oil in the ears...might help.