What causes lumps on a horses neck? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Jennie'sPassion, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jennie'sPassion

Jennie'sPassion Senior Member+

This is a strange question and I don't know if I should be worried so I will bring it to the experts. I will get pictures this afternoon.

Blacky has matching lumps on each side of his neck. They came out of nowhere. I was concerned enough to cancel Jon's lesson. I thought they would go away but this is day two and they are still there. Sunshine does not have them. They don't seem to bother him they just look bad. He is eating and drinking fine. I thought he had been fighting with Sunshine but there are no marks. They are hard and the size of apples. What could this be? Could it be his teeth? I hate the idea of taking him to the vet if it is nothing to worry about. That is why I am asking.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can see what I am talking about. Should I be worried?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

2. RockyMtnHorses1

RockyMtnHorses1 Banned

flie bites? I dunno

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member+

Where are the lumps at? He could have some sort of infection.

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Where abouts on his neck. Are they opposing each other? Is it possible to take a pic?

Sorry, no help yet, information is a tad sketchy.

5. Jennie'sPassion

Sorry, I am not the best at giving descriptions. I will get pictures when I go out for lunch and add to this thread. They are high on his neck almost directly behind his jaw. They match on each side. I son't think it could be flies because he doesn't have near the fly problem that Sunshine does and she is fine.

6. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

I go with the not insect given they match. Not unless it went in one side and out the other. JOKING.

Until there is a pic it would be too hard to hazard a guess, but I am off to sleep but will check this in the morning.

I am sure someone willl have something good for you before then.

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If they are right behind the jaw, they might be swelling associated with the parotid gland from allergies.

8. Jennie'sPassion

Thanks, I will have pictures up in two hours. I will update the thread. JB if it is swelling of the parotid gland what should I do? Is there something I should be giving him or taking away from him? I will get pictures so I don't keep you guys guessing.

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If it's allergies causing swelling of the parotid gland, not much you can do. As long as it doesn't bother the horse, it's something I just keep an eye on. Rio used to get this every Spring and towards the end of every Summer. He looked like a chipmunk! It lasted a couple of weeks, never bothered him, wasn't sore to touch, always went away. He's either just outgrown it, or allergies just aren't an issue since I have cleaned up his diet and boosted his immune system.

10. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Does the horse have a fever or a snotty nose as well?

Watch for them....just in case...