What breed?

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Blu Fly, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

True although the likelihood of an old-fashioned heavy Warmblood being in the States and it not following this horse is pretty darn slim. Odds and all..

manesntails likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Depends on where in the US this person is. There's a ton of them up in Horse Country in NY state and in other parts of the country - they've have warmbloods there since the early 1960s. And they rather often wind up sliding 'down the hill' when they become unsound, getting bred to... whatever.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

He just looks drafty to me personally. Possibly one of those unique quasi "Warmblood" sales where the crossed a draft or draft cross on a grade quarter mare etc and pawned it off as a Warmblood.

He's actually pretty nice looking, but I sense something in that genre.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I've seen a fair number of these crosses, and their sires and dams, over the years. They were very popular for a long time for fox hunting, back east. They were tanks. And as long as this one.

And we had several around here that 'taught everyone to ride.' Warmblood/Quarter Horse (foundation, old type QH). He was built like a brick house, and about this long.

It remains a possibility. Depends on where he came from. The horse is a little too pretty to be an 'Amish Warmblood' (draft-standardbred). But he certainly is long enough.

5. Alsosusieq2

Oh yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, save for it being a crapshoot in the gene pool and what you might wind up with. Sturdy and strong.

6. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

He looks a bit like an Irish cob cross I once new, I think the horse was something lisker irish cob qh

7. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

What a nice versatile fellow he looks like! He could be more than just a two-way cross. There was a lovely Andalusian/QH/Welsh cob here who had a very similar build.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Yes, I don't think he's just a two way cross myself. Very nice looking boy, I'd be thrilled to see him in my barn.

9. Alsosusieq2

You know, it really wouldn't surprise me if there was a Kladruber in the woodpile as that head is classic for the breed. It's kind of a signature trait. I'd love to see DNA results on the gorgeous boy.

manesntails likes this.
  10. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Cleveland Bay - didn't even know this was a guess the breed thread but that's all I was thinking looking at his photos - not purebred of course

Alsosusieq2 likes this.