What bits are legal in dressage?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SuperFilly, Aug 15, 2006.

1. SuperFilly

SuperFilly Full Member

Hey, I was thinking about taking my horse to a horse trial, and maybe in the future taking him to a begginer novice event, but I dont think I can show him in the dressage arena with the bit im using. I ride Chief in a pelham, what would be a legal bit that isnt a huge transition from what hes working in?

2. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

According to by-the-book use, a pelham is merely a snaffle with a second rein with a curb action that can be used to help lift the horses' shoulders. So in theory any horse ridden in a pelham should go in a dropped snaffle without batting an eyelash. In reality, lots of people get their horse used to too much curb or use converters, and if that's the case you'll have to gradually work back to being able to ride in a simple snaffle.

here's a pdf that illustrates and explains legal dressage bits: http://www.usef.org/documents/licensedOfficials/2004/dressequip.pdf I think the rules might be different for dresage sections of three-day events, one of our eventers can maybe answer. :)

3. Kissitgoodbye

Kissitgoodbye Senior Member+

^ She posted great information that USDF uses :D

That book is gold to me!

4. JumpsxGlory

JumpsxGlory Senior Member+

She posted all the info you need there. ;)

5. SuperFilly

SuperFilly Full Member

lol, thanks guys!