What are these bumps?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Laffee Taffee, May 5, 2012.

1. Laffee Taffee

Laffee Taffee Senior Member

I thought at first they were bot fly eggs but they haven't been getting bigger or disappearing, there's just been more of them. They are rock hard little lumps all over his chest, shoulders and neck. I don't know if he's always had them or if they just appeared, he just shed out all at once in about a week. They've been pretty much the same for about 3 weeks now. Some of them are huge, like the size of small marbles. They don't seem to be painful, I pinched and poked a few of the bigger ones and he didn't even flick an ear. Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them? He's the only horse on the property with these lumps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. BrokenSorrowLuv

BrokenSorrowLuv Senior Member

They look like fly/mosquito bites to me. How long have they been there?

3. Laffee Taffee

They've been there at least 3 weeks since he shed out, but I can't be sure if they've been there longer than that under his winter coat =[ He does have a lot of flies all over him all the time that bother him, I didn't think they were biting him though, but looking at the bumps, they probably are. It's just confusing that he's got these bumps but none of the other horses have them. I'll keep some fly spray on him and see if that helps with the flies.

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

It's either bug bites or hives. Time to get a vet involved imo if he's having that bad of a reaction (regardless of if it's bugs or hives).

Bot fly eggs don't look like that at all. They're just little yellow dots attached to the end of the hair shaft. I've got a picture somewhere.

5. dumbjockey

dumbjockey Senior Member

I had a really neat pony in training that had the same thing every now and then....sometimes really bad...it turned out to be an allergic reaction, hives, as mentioned above. We generally gave him epinephrine. Some times dexamethazone Just a small dose and it went away but sometimes it was slight and other times REALLY scary bad. It was to the point he had trouble breathing so the epi. was important to have on hand. The vet seemed to think it was from a sting or bite of some kind. You may need to get your vet involved as it can get worse.

6. Manahmanah

Manahmanah Senior Member

It looks like hives to me. If it were on the back i might say rain rot in the inital stages.

Have you been using any new product on him since it is spring and we all love to start to bathe and spray our horses with many new and exciting things? Any new blankets or fly sheets or anything? Any changes in pasture or feed?

As dawn already said it's absolutely not bot fly eggs. Those look like little tiny grains of white rice attached to your horse's hair.

[​IMG]

7. Cheryl D

Cheryl D Senior Member

Has the horse been vaccinated in the last few weeks?

8. Laffee Taffee

Oh mkay I've never seen bot fly eggs before, so it's definitely not bot fly eggs. I hadn't considered an allergic reaction, he's only getting alfalfa hay to eat, no supplements or medications. Could it be the alfalfa? I'll wash him down tomorrow and try to keep some fly spray on him every day, in the meantime I'll bring up allergies with his owner. I do think that it could be the flies though, they're all over him all the time and he's constantly swishing his tail/kicking at them, and we do have a huge mosquito problem in this area, especially for the horses. They usually go for the flank and the genital area though where the skin is exposed, not for the chest and shoulder areas, and they don't usually leave huge bumps like that.

He got his vaccinations in December if I remember correctly, west nile virus and tetanus. So I don't think he could be having a reaction from that.

9. TheBombDotCom

TheBombDotCom Senior Member+

Looks to me like he rolled in fire ants. I dont think I would waste the $ on a farm call. Wait until you get his spring shots and ask the vet then.