What are some horse safe shrubs/trees to plant near fence line?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

I'm trying to beautify the property :p and thought putting some trees or shrubs along the fence line would help. I like the way fir trees look. I don't want anything ugly or that drops poisonous things from it.

I like things that would stay green most of the year. Any suggestions?

2. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

3. Horse_Addiction

Horse_Addiction Senior Member

This year we redid our fence. Cleaned everything up really nice (we basically started building our house in the middle of the deep woods about 5 yrs ago) I am planting rose bushes all down the side of our fence towards the house. Horses will eat on them though so you have to keep them out of reach over the fence. I also have azaleas, dog woods, and tulips planted out there down the fence row on the dirt road side. Again, I have to keep them out of reach.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

We've got to do soil samples soon, so I'll see. Thanks.

I don't want roses....I have enough briars to last me forever, lol.

Azaleas are poisonous right?

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

Bump so I can plan ahead for some shopping LOL

6. Horse_Addiction

Horse_Addiction Senior Member

Yes, I think they are. I have had a couple horses eat them though and nothing ever happend to them. They don't like them but will try it for sure. I try and keep them where they can't reach them.

7. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

we have beech hedges and hawthorn, neither are poisonous to horses and both grow pretty hardy, especially the hawthorn.

8. kdeering

kdeering Registered

Horse Safe Shrubs

I have in my pasture a spruce tree that we bought as a live Christmas tree and replanted about 7 years ago, and I also have 20 Leland Cypress trees that we planted 3 years ago around the outside perimeter of our property clearly with in the horses reach and they don't bother with either the Spruce or the Cypress. So logically thinking I think that shrubs that are a variety of either Spruce or Cypress would probably be horse safe. I also have heard that a concoction of Pine needle tea is a good remedy for a colicky horse, so that would mean that a variety of Pine is probably safe as well. In addition the deer don't eat any of these either, big plus!!!

9. WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay Senior Member+

Fir trees would be fine. My horses are pastured WITH fir trees.

If you are choosing a particular variety of fir, douglas, noble, etc... it wouldn't hurt to do a google search to see if it's on any toxic lists, but find out what's available to buy in your area, and then check it against lists.

10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

Thanks to you both. Fir trees are with I'd like to plant. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. :eek: Plus, I think I missed planting season.