What are general signs of pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by jeda_horse, Jul 7, 2004.

1. jeda_horse

jeda_horse Senior Member+

A few people have asked me if my new horse is pregnant, but I wouldn't have a clue. She does have a rather large belly compared to the other horses. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me of signs to look for in my horse that would suggest pregnancy. Then if it looks like she is I will call the vet to come out and give me a definite answer. Thank you.

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

There isn't a "set signs". Until the mare is ready to foal. Best bet is to have the vet out.

Your horse may just have a hay belly. Or be wormy.

3. sunsetacres

sunsetacres Senior Member

Hi Jeda,

The only way you would know if your mare is pregnant, is to have her checked by a vet unless she is close to foaling. If she does not show signs of heat (if you have a gelding or stallion that teases her), then she could be pregnant, but this would take a couple of months to tell. A big belly can mean lots of things, too much hay, wormy, thyroid, and of course just plain fat or out of shape. If she is close to foaling then you should notice an increase in her bag and teats as well as a softening of her hind quarters and elongation of her v.ulva. If she has been exposed to a stallion, I would call a vet to make sure. There is a lot of care that a pending momma needs to have and I'd get started right away. Planned or not.

4. Debralynb

Debralynb Senior Member+

I had the same thing happen to me. I bought this mare in January and everyone was saying she looks pregnant. I had the vet out and he couldn't palpate her - she wouldn't let him (can you blame her - lol). The second vet came out and ended up taking blood to confirm the pregnancy. It didn't tell us how far along but confirmed she was over 5 months pregnant. Good luck to you.
    Deb

5. Super_Trooper

Super_Trooper Senior Member+

morning sickness, crankiness, mood swings, weird food cravings.............

OH WAIT, you mean your HORSE? LOL ;) Kidding................

6. Bailey-Boots

Bailey-Boots Senior Member+

OMG I get that ST .. does this mean I am pregnant ....eeekkk!!

well I have a pony is the same situation, and going to get the vet to do a blood check. I haven't noticed a season and she is rather large. She has been with a stallion but the lady said that he only covers inhand .. well I guess a test will tell if she was wrong.

at least we know it will be a shetland ! not too much more to look after

Debbie

7. Super_Trooper

BB, well, I get many of the above symptoms too.....and I am not pregnant...I think it is just a woman thing. hehe!

8. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Lets see, That is Pregnancy, Hang Over, PMS, etc. Syndromes!!! LOL

We just group it all in one category to make it simple for guys!!! LOL
    Just a "woman" thing.

though when I was preg with katie, hubby got some symptoms!! Including weight gain!!

9. Super_Trooper

LOL, BW I think my hubby would too...he even now gets his "time of the month" it seems!

10. EBEV2012

EBEV2012 Registered

Is frequent urination a symtom of a pregnant mare