What age can colts start breeding??

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Jenna9466, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Jenna9466

Jenna9466 Full Member

I have a 10 month old colt and he is in with my mares right now i dont want any oppies breeding... When should he be put in with geldings? He is a possible stallion prospect thats why hes not gelded but wont know for a couple years yet, im new at the breeding end of things! I not compelety stupid just not sure when he can starting making babies hes showing 0 intrest in the girls right now...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member+

If you have to ability to put him in with the geldings now, why would you even consider having him in with the mares? I wouldn't doubt his ability to get one of those mares pregnant. Put him in with the geldings asap.

3. I LUV BESS

I LUV BESS Senior Member+

If I were you i'd be moving him pretty soon... youngest ive known of is about a year, but im sure it can happen earlier

4. Kicks

Kicks Senior Member+

I'd have put him with the geldings when he was weaned. While it isn't common, weanlings can impregnate mares. My first stallion had his first foal hit the ground before he was 2.

A friend bought a yearling filly from a large breeder. Filly foaled before she turned 2 and when all the testing was done, turned out that one of the colts was the sire.

Why not just go ahead and geld before problems (unwanted foals) develope?

5. Jenna9466

Jenna9466 Full Member

Oh my gosh thanks guys i will seperate him immediatly! He seems like just a baby still but i rather be on the safe side.. luckily we have a good set up for seperation I have only owned him for a couple weeks now. Its not that my geldings are sperate from mares right now but they will be so little stud wil have some company

6. TeeK987

TeeK987 Senior Member

Get him in with the geldings asap.. I was told around a year also, and since hes almost hitting that age, i wouldnt take a chance.

7. Nickers2002

Nickers2002 Senior Member

Nicky was gelded at 9 months old. He was dropped and fertile (shot the vet in the eye by accident O.O). He had started trying to mount his sister at 7 months.

Saranna

8. TeeK987

TeeK987 Senior Member

Didnt see your post. Good for you!

9. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member+

I've seen it as early at 7 months. This colt only had one dropped and we never thought it was possible... but along came little Lacy soon after.

Glad you're going to separate right away :p

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yesterday

Colts as young as 6 months have impregnanted a mare/filly