Western showing question

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by bellalou, Jul 6, 2018.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

It's just how things work. Anything over 5 goes in a curb. However, a lot of schooling shows allow older horses to ride in snaffles, but if there are two equally good horses, the one riding one handed in a curb will be picked over the one in the snaffle. I would contact someone and ask them about it. :) Schooling shows are usually more about fun and training the horses anyway.

2. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I similarly took my old jumper to some schooling western shows for fun and they had the same rule. He was already well broke, neck reined and could go bridleless. I found a very short shank curb with a similar mouthpiece to his snaffle that followed the rules and just used that. Only took a ride for him to be okay in it but I honestly it was more for show than need.

From where I’m sitting if you want to show you’ve got 2 choices either go and play the newbie card but understand you will likely get disqualified. Or find a basic milder curb and see how he handles that.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

And that's probably what I'll do. Or ride him English. I have no interest in seriously showing. I just thought it would be fun and good for him to get out of his comfort zone a little bit. But he's 17 years old and very happy with his bit. I'm not going to change it just for something I'm not serious about.

Preppy_Ponies likes this.
  4. spec

spec Full Member

Ride in a shanked dog bone. Your horse won’t notice a difference if you can really ride him 1-handed on a drape.

5. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Shanked dog bone....please explain that, can't go googling something with that name.

6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Sure you can....
    Screenshot_20180709-174649.png

mymarespet likes this.
  7. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Is this considered a gentle bit?

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

He'll notice the difference in the mouthpiece, unless there's a Myler level 2 variation on that. But I'm not going to buy a bit just to do something I'm not serious about. Like I said, I'll either see if I can ride without being in the running or ride English.

Or go on a trail ride. :p

spec likes this.
  9. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

What about an Argentine with reins attached at the top ring like a snaffle;)?

10. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Isn’t there an aqua rule that says something about Rookies can show a horse of any age two handed with a snaffle? Or they both have to be rookies? Somehow, that sticks in my brain, possibly it was suggested but voted down?