Western showing question

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by bellalou, Jul 6, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

There's a little schooling show at one of the local barns and I was going to bring Sparky to it and just have some fun. He's never shown before - I generally just use him for trail riding and pleasure. But I thought it would be good for him and fun for both of us.

Unfortunately, I read the show rules and they follow the standard "if a western horse is older than 5, he has to be in a leverage bit" rule. :(

Spark has never been in a leverage bit. He's 17 years old and goes just fine in a snaffle, I have no desire to do any serious showing, and I'm not going to put him in a leverage bit just to do a fun show for no points or glory.

But I'm disappointed! Is this the norm? Do little local schooling shows really always require horses over 5 to be in a leverage bit? What about older horses with junior riders? Or older horses like Spark that are basically beginners in the Western show world?

I can see it in a larger or rated show but for a small, local schooling show, it seems a bit much.

ginster and Larkspade like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Hmm. I know that is a standard that's all.

3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

If you're just going for fun, perhaps you could "compete" hors concours?? I know many of the schooling shows in this area allow it, and you would likely be able to use his normal bit.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

That is the standard with stock horses.

kodemiester, ibsammy and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I realize that. It just surprised me that in a small local schooling show, they'd be concerned about it.

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good suggestion, it's worth a shot.

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Most follow AQHA rules.

Tradition dictates that broke horses go one handed. That's from the working cow horse history of the stock horse. Can't cut or rope if two hands are on the reins.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

The open show next to my barn has a training tack class where pretty much anything goes. So your horse would have fit in for that class. Ironically in AQHA he could have been shown in a snaffle in level 1 classes.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I don't know why you can't go one handed in a snaffle. Spark does just fine. Draped rein, one handed, snaffle bit.

At any rate, he rides English just as well so I'll see if one of my English saddles fits him and take him that way. I just prefer riding him Western. It's more his style.

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

As others have said.....it's a rule for horses over a certain age. In AQHA, horses 6 and over are considered Senior horses and go in a curb bit. Most open shows follow USEF rules which states any horse 5 and over must be shown in a curb bit. You could show him in the snaffle bit unjudged if you just want to go have fun with him.