Western Show Outfit Question (Matching White Hat to Outfit?)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by spec, Jan 30, 2017.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

When I used to wear a cheap suit for SMS, I wore one I got at Macy's.
    [​IMG]

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

That actually looks nice. I do like the simple look in SMS, but I also like some of the SMS jackets out there. So pretty!

LoveTrail likes this.
  3. Amy1007

Amy1007 Registered

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Those are all really cute outfits, but not really appropriate for showing of horses. I'm assuming by posting the pics, you were suggesting these were for showing. They are cute, tho. Too casual for showing, especially breed shows.

Welcome to the forum.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  5. Amy1007

Amy1007 Registered

Oh, Thank you, it is really wonderful forum. I am new not only in forum. I started to take ride horses classes a few weeks ago... and just try to get into this

LoveTrail and bobo and horses like this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Taking lessons is fun, do you have a horse of your own?

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!! And congrats on taking riding lessons! Those outfits are for "street" casual western styled wear, but not for horse showing or riding. Now HERE are some outfits for horse showing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VermilionStrife and kodemiester like this.
  8. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if the color issue got resolved.

White hats are definitley out for AQHA. I only really see them in 13 & under classes around here. (Indiana/Ohio shows, which are consistently the most competitive states. Look at the results from Congress/World show finals. MANY are from IQHA/OQHA!) Basically just trying to reinforce the idea that what I see on a regular basis is what is considered "in".

I really don't see many cream hats either. Maybe in pleasure or classes like western riding and trail. For horsemanship and showmanship amateurs typically opt for a black base with color pops.

For amateurs, BLACK bases in the showmanship and horsemanship. Youth tend to have dyed hats to match since they wear more colors. You dont see many light colors unless its a 13& under. 14-18's wear more rich tones like a burgundy, hunter green, etc. You will see turquoise and "bright" colors on the younger kids.

I included a picture of my charcoal gray hat on my dun. I don't feel as if it clashes at all with his brown tones.

My white hat has not been brought out since I did 4-H years ago. It just sits in my garage.

Good luck showing and keep us updated :)

Excuse my contact on the rein. It was his first time showing trail so we decided to have contact to help him through rather than show on a drape and hang him out to dry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    kodemiester likes this.
  9. xXScribbleXx

xXScribbleXx Senior Member

in 2015 I wore a crystal white felt hat (you can see in my profile photo here) with a black/silver/white lace overlay jacket. Judges didn't seem to mind as I placed very well. I personally like the look a lot provided it works for the outfit and is very well kept/shaped..but sure is hard to keep clean.