Western Saddles Maker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by lucky_pine, Nov 1, 2018.

1. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

How do you fit a saddle to a horse when the horse needs to be moving to fit it?

manesntails and bobo and horses like this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

The photos show you what front to back shape you need. It shows you what needs to be different and where. So when you run your hand under the saddle statically you’ll know “a gap here is always filled in when the horse is moving” type of thing. The biggest thing is many things that will fit statically will lift up off the horses back when the horse starts to move - so that is #1. Saddle, run hand under, lunge horse. If the saddle is flying away, stop - wrong saddle. It’s not really all that difficult, even for someone who isn’t a saddle fitter. Just the saddle fitter can see the shapes better so understands what you’re looking for.

lucky_pine likes this.
  3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

That seems fairly common sense! I knew his back changed when he moved, I guess I just didn't realize exactly how much. Tipping forward while moving has been my biggest issue so far. I've literally tried 13 different saddles over the course of the last couple months and all but those I mentioned will tip. Without him moving, they seemed reasonably balanced.

Thank you for explaining!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Yes that makes sense. Statically the horse is curvy. He is much flatter when in movement. So you have to take that into account & fit the moving shaped back.

Means it’ll be easier for you to find something - there are far more options for flatter backs than curvy ones ;)

Not all horses change this much - so it takes someone who looks at both things to fit the horse correctly. Glad I could be helpful.

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I found a Martin all around 25 inch skirt 8 gullet. Took me a year to find.Fits me and my Morgan well

manesntails likes this.
  6. Simon Pure

Simon Pure Registered

7. Simon Pure

Simon Pure Registered

I have fit many horses with this type of a back. I have several saddles in stock that could work for you that are floor models so the price range is $675-875.00.