Western saddles for the broad shouldered horse- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by FoxCrestAPH, Oct 26, 2013.

1. FoxCrestAPH

FoxCrestAPH Senior Member

As much as I love my Billy Royal, it just does not have enough flare up front to accommodate my geldings big shoulders.
    I unfortunately have no tack shops near me, so I'm stuck with researching and hoping for the best online.

I'm very interested in upgrading and finding a Harris, Blue Ribbon, Wenger, etc...
    Does anyone have any experience with these and if they might have a good shape for him?

Any suggestions? If I could get a front view of some of you guys' saddles that would be perfect.

I am open to all brands, as long as they're of quality, and most importantly will fit.
    However if anyone has any of the above mentioned saddles to give me an opinion on, that would be great.

2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member+

I have to recommend Rocking R saddles to you :p I haven't seen anyone on here with anything bad to say about them.

As for fit, we build ours on Steele trees. There are a lot of tack shops who keep Steele fit forms that might send them to you if you're going to order through them, and I *think* Steele will send them out on loan sometimes. The fit form is basically a plastic mold of what the bottom side of a saddle would fit like, so you can sit as many as you need on your horse to see what fits the best.

3 people like this.
  3. FoxCrestAPH

^Ah, Rocking R! I knew there was another brand I was forgetting that had a lot of good feedback. They unfortunately don't have the type of saddle I'm really wanting.
    I'll have to look into that though, something like that would be perfect to check on fit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kira

Kira Senior Member

You might try an Arab tree. My girl has really wide shoulders - uses XW in English saddles, and my Crates arab saddle fits her really well. They have the good flare in the front that you might need.

5. Muppetgirl

Muppetgirl Senior Member+

When you say wide shoulders, are you talking QH wide? My QH gelding has very wide shoulders, I found that FQHB have enough flare in the tree to accommodate him.

I don't have a photo on hand, but he has a very broad shoulder and the saddle I got (Vic Bennett - custom, he makes very nice saddles) used has been perfect and has not sored up my horse who's been in hard work for nine out if twelve months pretty much.

6. froglander

froglander Senior Member+

Mutton withered with wide shoulders, or has withers along with wide shoulders?

7. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member+

Like Kira said. I have a WelshX who is wider than a lot of QHs, and has no withers at all. I use an Arab fit on her.

Aside from fit, what kind of saddle are you specifically looking for?

8. FoxCrestAPH

Yes, QH wide. Sorry, should have clarified.
    Wide shouldered with withers as well.

Compadre, training or reining type.
    I wasn't a fan of the look of Rocking R's reiners.
    I liked their training saddle, however I don't really want roughout. But if it's a possibility that one of those would fit, then I could deal with it.

Has anyone heard of Vernon Purdy saddles? I saw them at a show recently- They all had the shape I'm thinking would be good on him.
    However they're new, and don't have a large selection of saddles yet.
    That's why they're not an option unless I had one custom made, which is not in the price range.
    If anyone has seen those, think in those terms.

I have an old Arab saddle laying around, I should stick it on him and see if that would be something to look into.

9. Fancy's Joe

Fancy's Joe Senior Member+

For what it's worth, I've tried a FQHB (supposedly) Rocking R on my guy before and it was much too narrow.

My old(er) Saddlesmith John Slack reiner fits my tank pretty well, compared to other brands I've tried. It's not the prettiest saddle I've ever seen, the leather isn't as nice as it could be (probably because mine was in horrible shape when I got it, I don't think it had ever been oiled/cleaned/conditioned), and it has a pretty wide twist. But I love the way it rides, and it seems to sit well on most horses (even my extremely hard-to-fit, tried over 50 saddles on, horse). I get compliments on it often, too. :)

[​IMG]

And a (bad) front shot.
    [​IMG]

10. TimmysMom

TimmysMom Senior Member

My horse, Timmy, was both broad and had no withers. A bear to fit! I found an older Circle Y show that fit him perfectly!