1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Western Pleasure Gelding (Just Turned 3 Yrs. Old)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by gailfinney, Jun 30, 2014.

1. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

Meet Albert...he is a registered APHA tobiano pallly. He turned 3 years old at the end of April and has been in western pleasure training. We have been taking him to a few shows and he is doing very well. Just thought I would share oodles of pictures of him. We are very proud of him. My bf shows him in local opens and some breed shows. Albert's registered name is Exquisite Albert and he is over 16 HH with a personality like a big puppy dog. We just started having a neighbor girl show him in HUS and I really think its his discipline.

OK here are the pictures..

Taken on saturday at a large open show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

our trainer's little girl wanted to ride him in a class..so she hopped on and he was an angel for her...they won the class (youth w/j)

[​IMG]

Hunter tack..what a handsome boy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last month..halter class

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and he rides bridleless better than he rides in a bridle...heres bridleless trail

[​IMG]

winning the2 year old futurity last winter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Williamston north carolina..paint breed show...halter class
    [​IMG]

Tobiano color class

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lexington Horse Center in VA paint futurity

[​IMG]

Lexington HUS

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

a turnout hint for you, wash, condition and pick out his fake tail so it will blend better. Also, I would put it in lower as it's too high right now.

also, your trainer really needs some new chaps so they at least cover his boots.

2 people like this.
  3. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

Thanks for the reply, lopinslow.....actually I just sent his tail extension to the tail maker and had it washed and conditioned. Seems whenever I set it lower, he steps on it when backing up and pulls it out. We usually try to put it a little higher when he is doing HUS to make him appear a little taller. As far as the chaps being too short...if you notice. He has two riders. The trainer and Ricky, my bf. Which one needs longer chaps?

Thanks for the tips..we are new at all of this and need all the tips we can get. We really need help with his mane..it's extremely thick and coarse and tends to stick up..we have it pulled and thinned and work constantly on keeping it flat..even when it was 8 or so inches long it stuck straight up...we just use a lot of gel and beeswax and put on a sleazy after it's banded...any other suggestions? We even dry it with the blow dryer while combing it flat and it's so coarse that it still pops back up.

Ittakes2totango likes this.
  4. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

Oops I just noticed u said trainers chaps...oh we'll he's a lost cause..his legs are so long we just gave up on finding show chaps for him. I buy all the trainers show clothes and the chaps were a headache.

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Then the trainer needs to get chaps custom made for him. I hate to say it, but the way they look now, it makes him look like a backyard trainer that doesn't know much. showing is all about presenting a very professional image and paying close attention to all the small details. and why are YOU buying his show clothes? a trainer should already have his own show clothes.

why did you send the tail to the extension maker to be washed and conditioned? that is something you can easily do yourself and should be done before EVERY show. I wash, condition and pick both my extension and horse's real tail well, then run a comb through both once it's in, so it blends VERY well.

also, putting it up higher doesn't make him look taller and in my personal opinion, looks very unprofessional. actually, if you can put it up that high, I suspect you need a much longer extension as they should be put in right at the base of the tail bone, and be sit a couple inches off the ground. This is my show gelding, see how well blended the tail is? and where it sits in relation to his fetlocks?

Bob.jpg

2 people like this.
  6. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

I am buying his clothes because he is training my horse for free!

The tailmaker washed and conditioned his tail because we sent it in to have a new top put on..and it's very long when I hang it low...I just got tired of him stepping on it and pulling it out in practice and trail classes.

and as said we were in our first year in those breed show pics...green on green...hopefully we will learn as we go...other than the grooming flaws, what do you think of Albert? He did win the North Carolina 2 year old western pleasure championship and the 2 year old halter championship for the year, but he has a long way to go.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

how show experienced is this trainer? the whole situation seems very strange to me.

If you put the tail at the level it should be (as in my photo) you shouldn't be stepping on it, unless the rider is ripping the horse backwards fast. Also, during the warm up immediately prior to your class, you want to put a strip of vet wrap or electrical tape about a foot from the bottom to keep the tail nice. Right before you go in the class, take it out and run a comb through it to "fluff" and separate again.

IMPO, all these tricks are things a trainer should know.

I can't give you my impression of the quality of the horse and training without a video.

4 people like this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Agree he shouldn't be pulling his tail out if he is being backed correctly. I only see a tail come out when the horse is being pulled back fast when schooling. You can also have the tail about an inch higher than LopinSlow's and still look nice.

Guessing on your banding, hard to see in the photos, that you probably have them a bit too much hair in each band and the rubber bands up too high in the mane.

Hobby Horse makes cheaper chaps and you can get them the length you need. Guessing he is a trainer like a friend of mine that is also doing it for free so that he can still show in amateur classes.

He does seem to be a happy horse in his photos and not being pushed too hard for the "look."

4 people like this.
  9. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

What seems strange? the fact his tail is too short? the fact the trainer isn't charging us? what? he isn't charging us because he is a friend of ours and we do things for him and he helps us out by training our horse. We will board a horse for him to train sometimes and he works our horse for free...is that strange? He worked 13 years for the best western pleasure trainer in our part of the state. He didn't show for him..either his boss showed or one of the female trainers showed the HUS horses. He is doing a few classes for us at the big shows in the opens etc Im sure you are aware of the fact that he is only allowed to do the opens and futurities because only the registered owner is allowed to ride in the pointed classes...I usually buy him his shirts to match our show pads because it wouldn't be fair to him to ask him to ride for free and furnish his own clothes too.

10. gailfinney

gailfinney Full Member

Lopinslow, your horses tail does look very nice in that picture..is that practice or is that an actual class?