west side of the US peeps and traveling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mimi5876, Mar 20, 2017.

1. mimi5876

mimi5876 Senior Member

So my friend and I are recent graduates from an undergraduate university. We are in the bay area/sacramento area of california to give you an idea of our start point. We want road trip ideas!:pMostly in california because my friend can only do weekend trips due to her work schedule, but also places where we can fly to cheaply anywhere in the US. Im starting up graduate school in August so we want to go on adventures before I start. We want to have more ideas and especially of locations we wouldnt think of since maybe other people dont go there much. Thank you for the help! Also my friend isnt horsey darn!

2. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Weekends only is limiting, so your best bet is to play around with local maps, talk to local people, etc. I mean, anything can be fun--a day hike in the mountains somewhere, a weekend in Tahoe or Vegas, maybe southern Oregon if you are a bit more ambitious--but also finding some local weird or abandoned place nearby. Maybe a diner that has made a name for itself, an abandoned town, a small, stupid, but fun theme park, or even just a cute small town. You could just go on Google Earth and see if there are any clusters of photos, then see if they are interesting. You could go wine tasting in Paso Robles (rather than Napa--or do both!), get a TShirt in Weed, or explore Yosemite or Death Valley. Options are endless.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Tahoe/Reno area. Tons to do, wild horses, neat old mining towns. Fun area.

4. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Crater Lake! It's in southern OR and is totally worth the drive. Just make sure you check the weather and park conditions because it gets snowed in really bad during the cold season. But it's lovely in the summer. I've been there a few times and would be happy to go back.

Or go to Steens Mountain. It's also in Southern OR but a little farther east. There's ton of mustangs out there (very fat, healthy ones too!). AND... the famous Kiger Mustangs are out there.

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Big Sur and Monterey ,San Diego ,Catalina Island,
    Paso Robles,
    Mammoth Mtn,
    Tahoe,
    Zion Utah,
    Yosemite National Park

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Mom & I drove from San Francisco to Grand Canyon a couple years ago. We debated going to North rim direct or South then around to north (@100 miles btw!) We went to south, but North rim from CA probably wouldve been cool trip too. We did Not go through Death Valley. Meteor Crater and dinosaur tracks park on the south side were cool stops, if you can get that far.
    The speed limit made driving from CA to AZ possible and fairly legal. We do have some jokes about "AZ @ 80 mph".
    Mom likes trains so we talked about going north to Napa CA on the wine-line, but didnt. Seriously considered it though. Sounded like a fun trip too.

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Another great place is Lassen Volcanic National Park. It's in northern California and it's never busy. I went on Labor Day weekend with no reservations and found a beautiful campsite right on one of the volcanic lakes. Gorgeous. Great hiking, really interesting place.

8. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Oh, yes, Lassen!