Weirdest (but not gross) vet/medical story you have.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Feb 11, 2018.

1. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I guess it's not really strange, but I had a hedgehog when I was in high school. Her name was Hemi. When she was about 1.5 years old, one of her front legs began to swell at the joint. It didn't seem to bother her, but it gradually turned her paw toward the inside. The vet x-rayed it and found that there was a big black spot on the bone in her leg, which signalled a sarcoma of some type. Since she didn't favor it at all and it didn't seem to bother her daily life, we opted to just leave it and make that final decision once the cancer grew enough to bother her.

Because she went for regular check ups and stuff and sedating a hedgehog often isn't always a good idea, I got this bright idea to teach her tricks. The vet told me hedgehogs weren't smart enough to learn tricks like dogs, but imagine her surprise when I showed up with Hemi for a routine check up and I told her, "Hemi, give paw" and my hedgehog stuck out her swollen paw. Then I put her on the little table they used for x-raying and say, "Hemi, play dead". The vet couldn't believe that the little animal suddenly stopped moving, laid completely still and didn't move a single muscle until the x-ray was done and I said, "okay, Hemi, you're good!"

The most interested part though... after about 6 months of monitoring this spot, the vet put her on this drug called ChlorPalm, which is basically some strong medication that is safe for animals, but can cause problems in humans. I was instructed to wear gloves while handling it, because it destroys white blood cells in humans. After a 2 or 3 week round of this medication, I took Hemi back for a check up and the black spot on her bone was gone. Her paw remained turned in for the rest of her life, but the swelling went away and there was never another sign of cancer. The vet actually wrote into a vet journal about it, or so I'm told.

Another story with another hedgehog. They're prone to tumors and I had this one hedgehog, Nova, who developed a huge oral tumor. It grew very large, very quickly, deformed her face and made eating impossible. Drugs didn't help. Because of it's proximity to her eyes, nasal passages and brain, removing it was impossible unless I also wanted to remove her lower jaw. I didn't want her to suffer, so I made the call to have her euthanized.

The vet was giving her the final examination while the tech was getting the sedation and euthanasia drugs ready. As the vet was poking around her mouth, the entire kidney bean sized tumor popped out and fell on the table, followed by a massive amount of blood. After we cleaned her up, the vet gathered up the growth and sent it away to Guelph (from Alberta) for more testing and I took Nova home with me. We got news about a week later that the tumor was horribly cancerous, but seemed to be completely contained in the tumor itself. I don't know how they knew that, but the vet seemed confident in the fact that they knew what they were talking about.

Here is a photo of the tumor that fell out of her face.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of Nova directly after the tumor just fell out of her face. As you can see, there's a little stretch to the skin, but she was no worse for the wear.

[​IMG]

ginster, Binca, LaceyInJuneau and 8 others like this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Not a vet story exactly, but one day I was just doodling away on the computer while my kids were eating pizza for lunch. Jake, one of my Boxers, came walking into the bedroom, opening and closing his mouth in an odd way. My son came in after him, white as a sheet, and told me he'd given Jake a bit of pizza and he thought Jake was choking on it.

Jake wasn't choking - he couldn't breathe. I scooped him up, about 70 pounds of Boxer, and ran outside with him. Flung him down and tried to reach into his throat. He kept struggling and biting down on my hand and I couldn't get anywhere.

Grabbed him and attempted doggy Heimlich. No luck. Literally picked him up by the hind legs and shook him. Nothing.

Flung him down again. I could feel him dying in my arms. It was as horrible as if one of my kids was doing so (I delivered this dog, had him his entire life).

Desperately, I reached down his throat again, shoved my fingers as far as I could. I honestly didn't feel anything there or feel anything dislodge and I was just in horror when... he gasped.

It took probably ten minutes for him to be able to get to his feet. But he was fine. One of the worst experiences, and then best experiences I've ever had.

3. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

There's a thread about it, but one of the great animal mysteries of my life is what actually happened to Luke Skywalker.

One Saturday morning about 10 or 11, I was in my pajamas still having my coffee, Luke was a long yearling at this point. Suddenly, for no reason at all, it seemed like a great idea to go outside right then and check up on the horses.

I reach the barn and Luke was standing all alone, with a six inch gash in his shoulder. I noticed it was extremely new, the trickle of blood coming off it was not even to his knee. It must have happened less than three minutes before I found him.

The vet stitched him up and all was well, but I walked the whole 5 acre pasture and never found a trace of what could have hurt him.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

That’s awesome. :rofl: What’s the rest of the story? :p

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

When I showed up to pick her up, at least 8 hours later, she was bundled in a fluffy blanket, snoozing peacefully on the lap of a DIFFERENT receptionist.

We never found out what caused the seizures or reaction, but I am careful to keep her away from known doggy bad foods.

ETA: She had a drippline in, which is partially why it was vital she stay calm. Also, while she always has been adorable and always will be, sick puppy Fred is a special sort of cuddly pathetic, and she is never happier than on a lap.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    kodemiester, ginster, AmyK and 7 others like this.
  6. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I can't remember for the life of me what it was called (I'm sure someone here will know) but I had a dog who vomited up every meal. Long story short (and several bad diagnoses later), she has to eat propped up in a doggy high chair. I ended up rehoming her because her condition required more than what I could handle and manage with my first baby on the way. I still get periodic updates on her and I'm so glad I went that route. Her new family loves her as much as I did and she gets all the attention she deserves. Such a good dog.

gaitedboomer likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I got an American bulldog puppy that I was told, when I agreed to take her, was a 12 week old chihuahua puppy. Pure white but for a brown and black spot over her right ear. Being so white I name her Lily.

So, naturally, the first thing I do is take her to the Vet. She had one eye that hadn't developed so one half of her face looked Chinese, and the other half Caucasian. :LOL:

He starts examining her and he goes: Who said this was a chihuahua? This is a 3week old American bulldog pup~!! o_O “Say what?“

Okay.

So He says the eye is healthy, just didn't finish developing so no issue there. Bring her back in 5 weeks for her first shots.

A few days later Lily's head is THREE TIMES it's normal size~!! She has still a happy attitude, slight temp, but is not eating as much as usual, but still eating enough and often. So, back to the Vet.

He looks her over and tells me to just take her home and make her comfortable. Wouldn't get definitive on a diagnosis, just make her comfortable as possible. So, in a few days, her head is getting back to normal and that was that.

So, now, she's eight weeks old and old enough to finally get her shots. I call up the Vet and tell the receptionist who answered who I am and that Lily is now 8 weeks old and I need an appt. to get her her shots.

She goes: “LILY'S STILL ALIVE~!!! :eek:

Well, yeah. Otherwise why would I need an appt for shots? o_O

“Didn't the Doctor tell you?“ she says.
    “Lily had Strangles. Three week old puppies do not SURVIVE Strangles~!! “

:love: well, Lily did. :D

8. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

A friend had a pair of Danes they had to feed in those chairs because of bloat.

My story is of one of our close neighbors horses. It was attacked by either a bear or a cougar. They called and asked my husband if he could come over and help them stitch her up. Big flap of skin hanging from her barrel and claw marks on both sides.

They couldn’t get a vet out quick enuf so they gave her a dose of banamine and hubby and the guy stitched her up with a curved needle and stuff that almost looked like fishing line. She stood in the stocks and we fed her carrots while they stitched. Very bloody, but probably cleaned itself out. Gave her antibiotics for about a week. Horse is still kicking. Luckily it was dead of winter, so not a lot of dirt.

9. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

It's not THAT weird but Chester has that shallow nerve at the girth area. When I first got him, he hadn't been ridden much since the track and the previous owner had no information on his track history. He would buckle when we tightened the girth and it scared the crap out of me and my mom since we didn't know if that would happen when I was riding.

Our vet referred us to someone at Ohio State and they assessed. They explained the condition to us and said as long as we stretch his front and let him walk a bit before jumping on, it's fine.

I've never had a problem but I do get weird looks when I cinch up in public and he starts to get weak in the knees.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Our old vet had a joke, where he would make up a name if he didn't know what was wrong with an animal.
    I can't remember any off the top of my head, but they were silly enough that even pre-teen Dona never thought he was serious.
    Things like 'galloping lung hardware', just pure nonesense.

Same vet was deathly afraid of cats. And we had a cat named Chocolate Dipped Marigold (can you guess what color she was?) that loved nothing more than to drop out of a hole in the ceiling onto people's shoulders, or climb up their backs.
    We all knew about and expected it, so wore thick shirts and didn't blink, but we have some entertaining memories of those two.