Weird Dark Spots When Cleaning Tack

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Equestrian24, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

1. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

Hello,

I have noticed lately that certain spots on some of my tack get these weird dark, almost grungy looking spots in certain areas when I'm applying a damp cloth. If I rub, it gets worse. However, they pretty much disappear after the entire cleaning once the leather is dry. I've noticed, however, that in those spots, the leather has a matte finish, where the rest is shiny. On my saddle, it is on the seat (and my seat bones tend to wear a pattern in the seat after a ride, but it disappears after a cleaning). I have a nearly new girth that does this on one of the little leather tabs on the elastic end as well.

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is my cleaning process (any advice you may have on this would be greatly appreciated as well!):

1. Wipe down with a damp cloth (my cloths are cheap dishcloths from Wal-Mart at the moment).
    2. Apply Fiebing's saddle soap with a separate damp cloth.
    3. Wipe off the saddle soap with the first damp cloth (water only).
    4. Apply Lexol leather conditioner, or if the leather is dry, Effax Lederbalsam.
    5. Allow to dry.

Thank you!

2. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

[​IMG]
    Let me try the picture again! Sorry, I'm not good with technology!

3. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

During my clean, I just realized that I misplaced my saddle soap, so I only wiped it down with water until I can get some more tomorrow. The dark spot went away, but it is still matte in that area and also doesn't have as smooth of a texture as the rest of the leather.

Also, I forgot to add, my tack is stored in a climate controlled area, although this particular saddle had been in a tack locker at my barn for awhile. I try to clean after every ride and have been a lot more religious about it lately.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's most likely ground in dirt, or your finish is wearing off exposing the leather underneath which is now a different color.

Equestrian24 likes this.
  5. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

I'd guess finish wearing off. I see it all the time in cheaper leather with a slightly shiny finish

manesntails and Equestrian24 like this.
  6. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

This is an older Courbette if that makes any difference!

7. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

My cloth did show dirt, so I'm thinking that is what it is. I'm not sure if the shine is a finish or just the leather being older.

manesntails likes this.
  8. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

yes, rubbing off finish is very common on Courbettes. The ones that haven't been oiled will rub off and leave a light almost white color. So I would assume you've done a good job keeping it oiled and cleaned so your finish is rubbing off to reveal the natural color of the oiled leather below.

Equestrian24 and manesntails like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

It’s the finish that’s already come off from that area. My guess is someone ride on jeans or some other kind of pants that have a seam or something on the butt. You can clearly see the seat bones and the the roughed up patch above that. So my question is what are you riding in & has your saddle always been like this?

Nothing you can really do to fix this, unless you want to strip the whole thing, dye and reseal.

Equestrian24 and manesntails like this.
  10. Equestrian24

Equestrian24 Full Member

I've always ridden in it in breeches and have had it for six years. I've never really noticed it to this extent before, but I think it's always been a little rougher in that area. I bought it used, so the previous owner may have ridden in it with jeans.

I did switch to a different pair of breeches when I really started noticing it, however, and I've also noticed that it specifically does this after a lesson, but never a casual ride where I'm not really doing much. I just got back into lessons for the first time since before I owned this saddle, so I wonder if maybe I'm riding in a way that's doing it? It always shows a seat bone pattern after my lesson, and I always clean it because that bugs me. I also let it dry and now it looks back to normal, like the dark spot was never there, but still has a rougher feel in that area.