Weight Gain Supplement

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CautionWetPaint, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

If you have to feed nutrena or Purina, go with Nutrena Special Care or Purina Ultium and add calories in the form of alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, rice bran, etc

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

After this past year with hives from Safe Choice Original. And knowing someone whose horse died and another one almost from Safe Choice Senior that had monensin in it. I don't trust Safe Choice. They don't have a dedicated mill for their horse feed out here. I think people are getting aware of it. My vet's assistant has heard even more problems with it. And my barn's supplier of Safe Choice, they had been using Safe Choice for decades, had them recently change to a different grain where the mill only processes the grain for horses.

The friend is in the process of getting a lawyer to go after Safe Choice. She only recently got her test results back from the lab. She spent $14k on vet bills trying to save her two horses.

Also Safe Choice doesn't have a set formula. They use whatever is cheapest to make the grain.

3. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Full Member

I will have to go with the Special Care, as the feed store only carries that.

In the past I've heard of people putting oil on the feed for fattening, is this true? And what kind of oil? If it is a safe possibility I may try it since my horse won't be able to "pick" it out.

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Are you working with a vet or nutritionist? Feeding isn't just add this and that. You have to know what you're doing and to make sure the horse is getting what they need based on nutritional requirements. The special care only has 7% fat, so I would not suggest that for a horse with weight issues. I don't really care about the nsc of a few pounds of grain as long as the total diet isn't too high in non structural carbs. The senior is 8% fat and higher protein. I would use the senior. What else can you get? Before adding any oil I would get rid of soy (which nutrena probably has) and corn...and, if needing a fat supplement straight up rice bran like I already said. I have experience keeping weight on a hard keeping thoroughbred and I stated what I did in my earlier post.

5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

If your feed store carries Nutrena they should be able to get Triple Crown. TC is a pretty good feed. I would choose it over Purina any day. All the ones I have ever been to (I live in a small town with limited options now too) have been able to order grain. They just do it with whenever their next shipment is, so you have to find out how often that shipment comes in and order enough to last you between shipments. Usually, if they know you will buy it regularly, they will order it, but may not stock it.

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The special care is a decent feed and that is why I suggested adding calories to it.