Weight Gain Supplement

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CautionWetPaint, Oct 11, 2017.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Full Member

I need recommendations for a weight gain supplement/feed that will NOT make my horse "hot".
    My 5 year old paint mare has always been a little bit of a picky eater. Right now she is not quite where I want her to be weight wise (ribs are still covered and has nice topline coverage, just a little slender in the belly), especially going into the colder winter months. She has always been more on the "energetic" side and will run off what weight she does put on playing in the pasture.
    She is currently on 2 scoops (about 3 lbs each) of Purina Strategy a day, a complete mineral supplement, as much alfalfa hay as she can eat, and the little bit of pasture grass that is left for this time of year.
    I do not want to up her grain any more than it already is, as she is already a little "hot" due to the hay and amount of grain she is receiving.
    So are there any supplements out there that will help increase her weight without adding any more energy?
    I have already tried SmartPaks "SmartGain" powder and could not get her to eat it. In fact she went off her grain any time it was applied.
    Oil or pellet type feed would be preferred.
    I have used Nutrena EmPower with my old gelding, but it made him a litttle "hot" and he was definitely not a hot horse.

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

First of all, strategy is a bit high in NSC, so that isn't helping any hotness.

I would switch to a good senior feed that is high in fiber, fat and low in NSC

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Buckeye Safe N Easy Performance
    Triple Crown Sr

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Agree with both posts. Strategy is for energy. The reining training I used to be with only fed Strategy to give his horses more go. Didn't work well for my all around horses. Just didn't know it until I left the barn.

Assume you checked for ulcers and her teeth? Low grade ulcers can just have the minor symptoms by not eating all grains and being a little under weight.

5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Agree with the above. And usually if you contact SmartPak they can put any powder into a pellet form (there might be a few they don't offer this for, but I usually message them and ask).

My gelding tends to lose weight and get "hot" when he has ulcers, although if your girl is on alfalfa she is less likely to have them.

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Strategy is such a junk feed. Ugh.

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Agreed...wow, we have been agreeing a lot lately...lol.
    Strategy is nasty variable formula crap feed. I would not feed that to my raccoons.
    Op, I would see what other brands are available to you. I feed mccauleys but that is not available everywhere.
    Has your alfalfa been tested ? I use alfalfa/ orchard mix. And, add extra straight alfalfa for my tb gelding in the fall/winter. Also, blanketing in the colder months (done correctly and managed ) can help preserve energy. You may want to look into soy and corn free. A lot of times, and there are threads on here, soy can cause unthriftiness.
    You can make your own mix, check with your vet or nutritionist, with straight oats/ straight rice bran and beet pulp. That's what I did last year for my gelding.

Circle C likes this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I know!!!! What is going on?? :rofl:

9. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Full Member

Her teeth were done this spring, so they are good. She is being blanketed already.
    Did not know that about Strategy, will try to find something better. As far as Senior feeds, would the Nutrena SafeChoice Senior be a good option? My feed stores are pretty limited for horse feed, if she was a cow or chicken they have endless possibilities though lol. They offer quite a few Nutrena options, Strategy was about the only Purina one.

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Our barn has had good results recovering and maintaining with various types and conditions using Nutrenas Safe Choice complete. Vet recommended and approved it too. Used on Srs, thins, brood/ nursing mare, her baby, as weanling & yearling. Even the Arabs have done well on it without 'using the stalls for a swing set'.

CautionWetPaint likes this.