Weight gain for senior horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mackenzie M, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mackenzie M

Mackenzie M Senior Member

I know this has been asked several times, yet i'm still at a loss recently.

I have a 27yr old national show horse gelding that has always been a hard keeper, but this year it seems to be a bit worse.

A relay of his diet: On free choice hay (round bale in a slow feed net), 4lbs of Tribute Kalm Ultra twice a day ( I try to sneak in an extra 1/2lb every day but he usually just will not eat it), He also has a goiter and is on iodine daily for that. Thyroid panel came back normal this spring but vet still wants him on iodine.

Teeth are done every year, last done in july I believe (he does have 2 teeth that are wearing, but nothing severe), wormed and fecal tests done, checked for sand and taken care of. Full blood panel done this spring and everything came back normal.

Health is great aside from the weight and goiter. He has more energy then my younger horses and still loves to work (though I don't ride him as much as i'd like as he drops weight so easy)

The only thing i've noticed is that he seems to have a bit of liquid in his manure. Not loose stool at all...but just extra liquid that comes out after or at random, if that makes sense. He's never had this before.

All of this has been discussed with my vet, I am just looking for different ideas. She just kind of shrugs it off.

Any ideas for weight gain? What else can I do for him? any thoughts are great

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I would start by adding some alfalfa pellets (soaked) for him. I would put them in a different bucket then his grain

Mackenzie M likes this.
  3. Mackenzie M

I've tried this...he hates anything soaked. Refuses to eat it

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

At 27 years old, I would move him over to a good senior feed, and alfalfa.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  5. Mackenzie M

His Tribute Kalm Ultra is the closest thing to senior that actually seems to keep weight on him. He usually wont eat enough of anything else to hold his weight. I'm limited to brands that I can find in my area.

I'm installing a barn and stalls soon and I hope to be able to find alfalfa bales and maybe try stalling him at night so he can have free choice alfalfa. He won't eat anything soaked

6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I second the alfalfa. Always try adding more forage before concentrated grains. Alfalfa is a great place to start.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I agree that if you can get him alfalfa (cubes/pellets/bale) that would be a great addition. As far as soaking, have you tried a long hot soak? If I put boiling water in pellets and let them sit for an hour or so, they are fully expanded without being sloppy.

I would love to see him on TC Senior, but understand availability issues. I would also run a bucket or two of Equisure through him, and wouldn't rule out gastric ulcers. Equisure is for hind gut ulcers, and I found that my guy was looking a bit unthrifty along with water associated with his regular manure, and Equisure cleared it up completely.

Another thing that may be helpful is Probiotics, which is not uncommon to have to add for seniors, but many of the supplements I've found cause more upset than anything else because they are not horse specific (there are some goods ones out there though). Most senior feeds have Pro and Prebiotics in them, which would be an extra incentive to put him on a Senior feed. What is available around you?

Mackenzie M likes this.
  8. Mackenzie M

I have tried TC senior before and it did not put the weight on him like I had hoped...that and he eventually stopped eating it. Grain wise, the Tribute Kalm Ultra has been the best for him. It says it has added pre and probiotics. I will look around and see if I can find some alfalfa bales for when I have stalls up.

Yes, I have tried a soak like that. As soon as something gets mushy (even with out the slop), he's out. He's a bit of a drama queen when it comes to his food:cautious:

The Equisure I can definitely try!! I will see where I can order it from. I'm not sure why he would have ulcers as he's out 24/7, hay in front of him, no stress, etc. But its worth a try.

I can get Tribute products, some TC on occasion, some Purina, and the really cheapy stuff that's $10 a bag (don't even remember the name). The Kalm ultra is a very soft pellet and my other seniors do very well on it. They all have good teeth.

This is very frustrating and difficult with him being so picky (n)

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Old horses burn a lot of calories trying to stay warm, make sure that he is blanketed, when it gets below 50.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

If you can't find anywhere close where you don't have to pay shipping, I have some I would sell. bought a big bucket, didn't use it long, just been sitting on the shelf.