Weighing Feed -- Scales?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Capilet, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

We're switching barns in the not so far off future, so I need to buy a scale for feed. (The hanging scale at the current place is hard to find, hard to use, etc).
    What sort of scales are you using to weigh hard feed and double check their hay rations?

2. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I use a kitchen scale from walmart cost me $10 and I have had it going on two years!! even comes with a bowl thingy LOL

3. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

Most of those scales are rather expensive and you can get by with a regular bathroom scale. Just weigh an empty cotainer first. With hay, you can weigh yourself and then pick up the hay and weigh it if you cannot see the number with the hay on it.

4. StarfireArizona

StarfireArizona Senior Member+

Like PeggySue, I also have a bowl thingy scale....but got mine at Sam's Club. Cost $25.00, and maybe due to some unintentional rough treatment by my mother, it keeps jamming up every few weeks. Thankfully my hubby is super handy and keeps calibrating it for us :)

Wouldn't be without a scale now.......

5. lvmypnt

lvmypnt Senior Member+

I use hubbys fish scale. Just drilled a little hole in the back of the scoop and there ya go. Its great because the scale hangs on a nail in the feed room and then when I need to weigh something i just either hang the scoop or the hay back off of it.

6. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

I use what peggy sue describes, it was $10 at wallmart, has a little bowl and weighs up to 7# I believe. Its actually perfect because you have to slide the base to zero it out, so you can use your feed bowl or measurement scoop and zero it to that, then dump the feed in and get an accurate read without having to do math :) I hate math :)

I have an el cheapador made in taiwan digital fish scale that goes to 60# for my hay. The scale I won at a chinese auction but they're typically around $20.

7. DangerRanch

DangerRanch Senior Member

I have a kitchen scale, I have no idea where it came from, it's kind of old. It's like the one Buck describes in that it has a little knob at the back that you use to calibrate it, recommend something like that. You set the empty container on it and then turn the knob till the hand is at zero, then put whatever you are measuring in the container, no math needed :) I prefer the one with hands over a digital, easier to see halves and such without having to think in decimals and it's plenty accurate for my purposes.
    Lol, I weighed a dog once like that.

8. prairienights

prairienights Senior Member+

Where in the WORLD are you guys finding scales at WalMart? I have looked in two Super WalMarts, and can't find one. Which department/aisle?

9. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I found mine on teh bottom shelf withthe cooking utensils.. so kitchen stuff where the spoons and spatulas are :wink:

10. GingerSnap

GingerSnap Senior Member+

they don't usually have very many in stock so they are easy to over look too.

I use my weight watchers food scales for my hard feeds and a hanging fish scale for my hay.