WEG Tryon

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by ginster, Sep 13, 2018 at 6:03 AM.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Is anyone following the event?
    I need to see what I can catch on tv due to the time difference.

So far it looks pretty good for the german dressage team.

Too bad the endurance race had to scratched but it seems temps were too high and there were horses who didn´t deal well with that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

They should not have canceled it at the end. If the horses are unfit to continue, the vets pull them. Ive ridden several races in heat, i'm from georgia and rode in the southeast for all the rides. They canceled the race as the day was getting cooler. Getting pulled is part of endurance riding. I think they were just frustrated from the screw up at the start and just said "bleep it" lol. Now those horses and riders went 50- 75 miles for nothing.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

From what I read the german horses were doing pretty well.
    I guess there were too many horses they would have had to pull? Don´t know.
    I haven´t found much Information, just that the race had to be restarted earlier because some riders were lead on the wrong way and then was cancelled due to the extreme heat...
    Opinions def. vary on the necessity of the cancellation.
    I cannot imagine how disappointed the riders/teams are now. Most of them struggle to even make it to the WEGs, most do not have much sponsoring (if any) so they basically pay their own way...

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

They should have let them finish the race. That's part of endurance is metabolic pulls. It is a race. It infuriates me, for the officials to cancel the race so late. 50-75 miles is tough on both riders and horses to recover from, and all for nothing!!! What was 15-20 more miles in cooler weather? I'd guarantee those horses have run in mud, in dark, in heat. It's endurance riding. Weather conditions happen.

5. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

They didn't cancel it just because of poor weather, they cancelled because it was a media :poop:storm because Tryon is NOT ready for this kind of event.

There was a major hold at the beginning because officials told a large group of riders to go the WRONG WAY - the wrong freaking way. So then when the competitors out front were done the first loop and at the vet check, they held them all, until 45 minutes after the last rider came through. Then changed it to a shorter "Race" and re-started it - and then cancelled it before the final loop.

There was a lot more stuff going on behind the scenes too. The UAE were quite upset with a lot of things and there are tons of videos on FB from one of their judges or something with what was going on behind the scenes.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

The problem is horses from other parts of the world are not acclimatized to our weather so it is much worse for them.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Dressage looks very good so far. Jessica rules!

8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

That's part of endurance riding. Some horses are not acclimatized to mountains or thin air. You can't satisfy everyone. I still stand by that they shouldn't have canceled it. Maybe rescheduled it for today after the screw up at the start yesterday. It was totally unfair for some of the horses to have went longer distances after staff sent them the wrong way.

Again, this is an outdoor sport, which means unpredictable.

If found unfit to continue, they get pulled. Simple.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sönke seems to have done very well, too. He's in the lead, last I checked.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Reining teams are already done..congrats to the US, no surprise there.
    But silver and bronze went to Belgium and Germany, respectively.. Found that a bit surprising. I would have Canada or Australia would be up there. Italy is usually the strongest european team..