Water he was terse tripping circuit ??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by turnnburnlynx, Feb 6, 2019.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Ugh. It's like 5 degrees, blizzarding, and the circuit decided to trip. The 2 heaters have been used on this circuit before, and it didnt trip it then. I did buy a new heater since one has died, but it was the exact same model.. I dont know what to do, and it's making me grumpy.

Any tricks to help keep the water unfrozen or any tips for the circuit ?

I plan on going out every few hours and breaking ice even over night :(

2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Is the circuit a 20 amp? Most heaters are 12.5 amps I believe, and if it didn't bother it when the weather was warmer but is now when it's cold, you're probably overloading it and that's tripping it. I can only plug one heater into each circuit when it gets cold or else they trip the breaker.

If you have another circuit available, I'd try to have one heater on each circuit. How big is your tank? I can keep a 300 gallon tank usable even in negative temps (been getting down to about -20F each night) with one tank heater.

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the ice over night. Just do it at night and in the morning and call it good. Maybe at lunch time too. Do you have any heated buckets?

manesntails likes this.
  3. turnnburnlynx

I think it's a 20 amp, and that would make sense. It makes me super sad haha. I dont ha w any heated buckets, but I'm going to try the heated water bottle with salt in it to float at the top to help break up ice. I dont know if it works, but I'll give it a try today. I'm so thankful it's almost warm out again, I can get everything taken care of and ready for next winter :(

Dream27 likes this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I think it will help, but it still might freeze so keep an eye on things. If you have wind to blow it around a little, that'll help.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Your wiring could be getting burnt a little. Older wiring tends to do that near where your wire nuts on the outlet are, and other places.

Or, the new heater works better because it's new, pulls more power and that's tripping it.

Or your breaker is worn out. I had that happen before.

I'd call an electrician. Barn fire hazard, ya know.

billz, doublelranch and turnnburnlynx like this.
  6. Chicachica

Chicachica Registered

In really cold weather like that, I will carry 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the house and dump it in the tank. It keeps it thawed at least for an hour or two, that way they can drink during feedings. My horses tend to keep a nose hole broken through the ice all night.

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  7. turnnburnlynx

I'm so so sorry about my typos!!! I was on my phone in my barn!!!

Thank you all, I finally got the heaters going (with water bottles just to make sure) and it now seems to be working. We are having an electrician out asap

Chicachica, Dream27 and manesntails like this.
  8. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

When we recently had the polar vortex our outlet tripped also with 2 buckets plugged in.

It had nothing to do with the amps but instead that it was so cold there was condensation on the plugs that was tripping the outlet. I brought the buckets inside for one night and cleaned the plugs real well and not a problem since.

Just a thought....

Dream27 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Wuss Horse would be like, 'I what? You can't be serious. Why don't you hire someone who stays out here and breaks it for us?'

10. Chicachica

Chicachica Registered

Hahaha XD