Watchy Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by DunsNPallys, Dec 22, 2017.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

The watchy horses I've been around have been pretty cool horses. I got a small town cutting bred mare from a family friend that was very watchy on the ground, once you got a hand on her she was a different horse. I wouldn't hesitate to get a watchy horse if I liked it otherwise.

2. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I met a few Paso horses who were like that.. very reactive. It seemed to be something the owners were very proud of

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

“Watch” isn’t a term that I’ve ever heard someone use to describe a horse before. I wonder if it’s more of a stock horse term? As it seems most of the horses described here are stock horses.

None the less, I believe Fif is similar, though I’ve always just referred to her an anxious......

Friesiangirl and manesntails like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yep, Western Term.

GONE ROPING and CowCatcher like this.
  5. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I don't know anything about Paso Finos or the people who have them but I kinda understand that thinking.
    Not so much being proud of owning a reactive or watchy horse but I was raised more with respect for who could get by those types of horses. We didn't fix horse's every single issue and try to make them something they weren't. We learned to get by them and get them really broke use them to the best of their ability.
    This didn't translate to unbroke horses since I often see gentle seems to automatically correspond with broke for a lot of people.

But I've noticed that the majority of the horse world rewards a horse being extremely gentle,some to the point of being numb, as the marker of a good horseman. (Not saying its bad just different than how I was raised)
    I think some people replaced a broke horse as being a good horse with a gentle one who makes up for not being quite as broke.

Peeperpuppy, spec, Arem and 3 others like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

To cowcatcher's last post.
    There's overly desensitizing that creates deadheads which people believe are beginner horses but when an experienced person gets up, they are really just overly desensitized and not broke. They have no training besides following another horse. Carrot & Stick horses. Cheap horse.

Then there's the broke to death, rides for anyone because he's broke but he isn't lovey-dovey horse that is worth his weight in gold . Would rather you Not hang all over him horse that beginners pass on BECAUSE they have no idea what a horse SHOULD be. They want a big pet they can walk around on from time to time and think the “gentle“ in that he wants to not DO much besides eat cookies,would be the actual broke horse.

Toobad they are wrong.

Peeperpuppy, spec, Arem and 3 others like this.
  7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I get a lot of free horses like this because they are "impossible" to catch, too spooky, too whatever.
    I like 'em lol
    They are so easy to train! You might not always get the reaction you want but at least you get a reaction!

I've got a mare in now that is completely dead to any sort of aids, total opposite problem and a way bigger pain in my behind lol
    She's a good girl though.

Arem, Quarter Girl and manesntails like this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

One of mine is "watchy" though I never really heard that term used until recently. I just consider him anxious/spooky. He does the whole body twitch thing when you touch him and never quite relaxes. Gentle desensitizing just stresses him out more, waiting around for him to relax never works either. What does work is just calmly catching him and doing what you want with him. He's fine if he's working and nervous if he's waiting for something to happen. That's how it seems to me.

For all his faults he is a very gentle horse and has never so much as pinned his ears at a human that I've witnessed. I've just come to accept that's who he is. He's like how Manes described it, he doesn't want to be touched but if you do he likes it if you're pressed against him and he likes to follow you around at a safe distance. Good horse, just not cuddly.

manesntails and PyroTekNik333 like this.
  9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I've only owned one, and while she was solid and dependable under saddle, I really hated her ground presence. Wasn't a fan and didn't keep her around much more than 6 months or so. I don't tip toe around my horses and I don't want a horse that can't be entirely comfortable with me.

And she was like that with everyone. Head up, looking everywhere, didn't matter how many times or how you did it, when you approached her she would jump, and kept both eyes and both ears on you at all times. Stood great for mounting, and would pack you through anything and go anywhere you asked her to. She packed me through mud that was over her knees with zero hesitation when I misguided her. Honest, honest horse under saddle. Would kick your teeth in if you didn't give her a fair chance to give you the once over while on the ground.

FB_IMG_1514225398311.jpg

FB_IMG_1514225408466.jpg

10. DunsNPallys

DunsNPallys Senior Member

It's very cool to hear others' experiences! I've never known so many people to be okay (or even like) a watchy horse. Kind of cool to see a difference in preference from what I'm used to. I was worried if I ended up selling this filly, that I'd struggle to find her a home since she's watchy but maybe it wouldn't be such a hiccup after all! Of course - fingers crossed I am able to keep her indefinitely!! She's doing really well. I've taken to not staring at her when I walk up to her and she's been good. I've also tried to have somewhat of a routine and she's starting to get used to that.

If her only problem is going to be a hand on her, that's fine with me lol! She's not spooked by anything else, and that was the important thing to me because she's going to be a tough and loud line of work.