warts on a horse's nose

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LadyDulcinea, Aug 19, 2005.

1. LadyDulcinea

LadyDulcinea Senior Member+

Does anyone know how to get rid of a wart on a horse's nose?

2. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

99% of the time you just need to let the horse fight them on their own. But if you wait until there is a big one and pop it with a pair of pliers or something you can speed up the process a little. What it does is gets the virus in contact with the horses blood therefore he can build an immunity to it.

3. AFab

AFab Full Member

In horses, small, scattered papillomas occur on the nose, lips, eyelids, distal legs, penis, vulva, mammary glands, and inner surfaces of the pinnae, often secondary to mild abrasions. [​IMG] They can be a herd problem, especially when young horses are kept together, but regress in a few months, as a foal's immune system matures. When they develop in older horses, they often persist for >1 yr. So-called aural plaques are also thought to be a flat form of papilloma (verruca planum). Equine papillomas are disfiguring but benign. They need to be distinguished from verrucous equine sarcoid

Soft-tissue Sarcomas:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/72217.htm

4. Craig

Craig Senior Member

If the warts are causing problems, like spreading to other horses, small warts can be crushed, pinched or frozen off. Larger warts can be burnt with liquid nitrogen or surgically removed. However, in most cases, it is best to allow the warts to spontaneously regress which can take up to 3-4 months.

5. PaintedPNH

PaintedPNH Senior Member+

Are you sure its not sunburn?

6. naturalhorsegrl

naturalhorsegrl Senior Member

How old is your horse? Warts are very common in younger horses.

7. LadyDulcinea

Swayze is five. At first, I thought it was a scab from perhaps him scratching his nose on something. It was (and still is) about 1/8" wide and about 1/4-1/2 an inch long on the endish part of his nose. Like I said, at first I thought it was a scab from a scratch, then after about a week it hadn't gone away. None of the other three horses have them anywhere. He just has this one. It isn't growing or anything (yet), but it isn't going away. I can touch it just fine. It feels hard like a scab and the skin on it is kind of flaky I guess would be the word. I just assumed it was a wart and that's what my farrier said it was. The only warts I have ever seen on a horse though were big nickel and dime size round warts. After we get back from the fair, I'm going to have my vet look at it to be sure.

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

That doesn't sound like a wart.

9. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

Could it be a sarcoid or perhaps a melanoma?

10. LadyDulcinea

I still think it just looks like a scab, but hubby and farrier both say it's a wart. Do you think I should have the vet look at it before we go to the fair tomorrow or is it okay to wait until we get back?