Wanting advice for making a horse game

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Cordellia, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Cordellia

Cordellia Registered

I'm working on a Minecraft mod to add a lot more complexity to the horse breeding system. I'm good with colors, but I don't know a lot about conformation and stuff like that. Horses are going to have three traits, health, speed, and jump height, and I want to be able to break each of those into four categories like "long legs" for speed or "good bascule" for jump. As I don't know much about this I'd really appreciate your suggestions. Four categories for each trait would really be best, and eight would be next best, but I can handle numbers in between as well. Also it's okay if they apply to more than one trait, I just want this to turn out as realistic as I can make it without being overly complex. Thanks in advance!

2. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I will admit, I spend far more than I should on minecraft where I have a racetrack and a stud farm. I have been wanting a mod for the breeding system for a while as the current one has no real rhyme or reason. I categorize my horses by speed over my track, the fastest get around in 17s while the slowest are over 24s. When they 'retire' from the track the best (stakes winners) head to my breeding shed. I have had some lines of horses seem to produce more winners but others do not so maybe there is some sort of rule for it. All of my horses have written pedigrees that I carefully keep track of. I realize I have put way too much effort into a virtual stable XD
    Real life factors that go into speed are long stride, breath rate, pedigree, for speed, the bascule, balance, uphill conformation for jumping.

Cordellia likes this.
  3. Cordellia

Cordellia Registered

Yeah, there's a rule for it. In vanilla minecraft, a baby horse is the average of its two parents and a third randomly selected horse. My mod's far enough along that I can play with it, and I too have been taking it way too seriously with a notebook full of names and descriptions of my horses and their pedigrees ;) So far I've replaced the vanilla system with genetics, but there's a lot of different genes that can contribute towards each of the stats and I want to be able give the player more information, hence the subcategories for genes.
    By the way, I didn't think of long stride and breath rate, those are really helpful. Pedigree's already accounted for by genetics. So so far:
    speed: stride length, breath rate / capacity, leg length (I'm guessing at that one), looking for at least one more
    jump: bascule, balance, uphill conformation, looking for at least one more
    health: ...looking for four more

Pony123 likes this.
  4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

This is amazing. I feel like for stamina you would want a deep chested horses.

Let me know how this goes I'll totally download it.

Cordellia and Pony123 like this.
  5. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Health could maybe be hoof health, breath rate, heart rate, and soundness...
    If you ever publish it, I will definately download!

Cordellia likes this.
  6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

This is awesome, that's all I had to add :)

Cordellia likes this.
  7. Cordellia

Cordellia Registered

Ok, I'll let you all know when it's done. Currently I have most of the coding done, most of the base colors, sooty, and a few pintos. I need to redraw anything combining dun, silver, and/or cream, because they don't combine like I thought they would, and I need to draw pangare, more gray variants, leopards and blankets, varnish roan, splashed white, sabino, frame, and more combination patterns of those. I've currently got enough schoolwork that I can only work on it for about 1 day a week, so it might be about 6 months, give or take.
    Thanks for your suggestions!

turnnburnlynx likes this.