Vomiting in horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by meljean, Sep 29, 2016.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Had to take Bonanza over to vet, possible mild case of colic...so better safe than sorry and took him over.

They have a new partner...they oiled Bonanza, made nose bleed, a lot, as well as she told me "he didn't need to vomit so that was good" as well as told me tubing one commonly caused nose bleeds.

Never have seen one bleed from tubing, and when she said that about the "vomiting" I just looked at her.

Horses don't vomit...period.

Suffice to say, I am not impressed. This vet is about an hour away or little more by time I go out and get my horse/s to haul.

Next one is over 2 hours one way.

I left him overnight, in case something does happen...but seriously wondering about what schools are turning out.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

OMG~!! You have an idjit tubing the horse. If you are inexperienced of just plain carless in inserting the tube, you will get enough blood to notice it. If it bleeds "a little" you won't notice it at all.

Of course horses don't vomit. If you have something coming out a horse's nose, that looks like vomit, you got much, much worse of a problem than colic.

Drive the two hours, Mel.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't think the vet is an 'idjit' if the horse bled a small amount (and even a small amount can look like a lot) during tubing. It happens. Even a sedated horse can and will tense itself and make it hard to tube.

I think it is wrong to judge a vet that way.

As an example, my horse once choked very badly. I was very lucky to get one of the best vets in my area -- tons of experience, very diligent and very good with horses, and got out very quick. I have seen her tube many horses with no problem.

In fact, I would say that she was really exceptionally good at tubing horses without them getting fussed, without any bleeding and very quickly and gently.

However, that time, the choke was so bad and there was some bleeding from the tubing.

I am sorry, very sorry to be the one to tell you, but horses do vomit. You are incorrect. So is manes and meljean. Sorry.

However, when a horse does vomit, it is a very abnormal and desperate situation.

It is in fact, a very grave development in colics and generally indicates a rupture of the stomach.

Horses may also appear to ''vomit'' during a choke, when you can see a lot of food and froth come out of their mouths.

In other words, you are incorrect, and the vet is right.

Sorry, but to avoid misjudging a vet, you can ask polite questions of the vet, when the vet makes a comment that you do not believe or understand.

Here's a polite example:

"Well, she didn't have to vomit, so that's good".

"Dr, it sounds like a horse vomiting during a colic would be very bad. If that was to happen, what would that indicate?"

"Well, it usually means that the stomach has ruptured. In cases like that, there's often nothing we can do. So I was very glad to hear that your horse didn't do that".

"Thank you for explaining that to me, Doctor".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Never seen a horse "vomit" by the definition of the word. I have seen choke debris come UP like vomit, but they never made it to the stomach.

Sarai, secuono, foxtrot and 10 others like this.
  5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Let's just say my experience with vets would not lead me to believe slc's interpretation, but rather Meljean's.

Vets who more often deal with small animals than livestock are prone to saying somewhat inappropriate things - especially new entry vets.

Some owners are too polite to ask the vet what was meant by the vomiting comment. Vet and I would have had a fast discussion on the "I guess it may have slipped your mind..."

Of course the main thing is that the horse got appropriate treatment and is now better.

Sarai, froglander, Varisha and 6 others like this.
  6. Ghostrider58

Ghostrider58 Senior Member

The vet SAID, "He didn't need to vomit", not that his stomach had ruptured or that he had choke. Sweet baby Jesus on a pogo stick slc, did you even READ what the OP posted or do you just have to be contrary no matter what?

Horses DO NOT vomit. Choke can cause food to get backed up into the esophagus but it's NOT vomit, and if their stomach ruptures, whatever is in it usually gets dumped into their body cavity and does NOT travel up their throats.

That vet is a moron, plain and simple. I'd be driving 2 hours to the other one. There's a reason I don't use the vet within 10 miles of my house, and opt for the one 1 1/2 hours away.

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Horse cannot vomit. Their digestive tract is a one way street. period. That is why colic is so dangerous. First, @meljean I hope your horse is ok. I'd examine your management practices to see if anything caused the colic...enough hay, fresh water, streesors, on turnout, worm load...blah blah blah. Although it's possible, it is unlikely that horse colics for no reason.
    I would not have left my horse there. That vet sounds like an idjit.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It is about as rare as a blizzard in southern Florida. It's under the most bizarre of circumstances. For a vet to say that would make me go "what" personally. I'm sorry but that'd probably be the last appointment I'd have there, especially since there's no darn reason they caused your horse to bleed "a lot".

That's nonsense.

Sarai, Varisha, prairiesongks and 2 others like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I read it. More carefully than you did.

10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I think the vet was referring to reflux, ( which is what causes vomit in people and dogs, tupically with horse we don't see food come back out due to the way the pluming is put together but they do reflux) Which occurs when you have a complete obstruction from a severe impaction, displacement or twist.

Sometimes when a vet inserts a tube in a horse with a bad colic the existing contents in the stomach will shoot out of the nose tube from the pressure of the reflux. Sometimes due to the reflux they are not able to pump more fluid into the stomach. When this occurs after a few attempts to via the nose tube route then the next step is usually 24-48 hours of IV therapy and if that does not hydrate the gut enough to clear it than surgery.

Some thin skinned horses bleed when the nose tube passes through and irritates the skin in the nostril, this area is very tender and very vascular. Its also seen when a horse has to be re tubed repeatedly or when a horse is wiggling around during tube placement. I had one that we had re-tubed repeatedly multiple times a day for 5 days and his nose was pretty sore by the time he was drinking on his own.

Whoa, Sarai, faroutfax and 3 others like this.