Vitamin B-12 shot?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LotsOfSavvy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. LotsOfSavvy

LotsOfSavvy Senior Member+

Anybody heard of giving vitamin B-12 injection to a horse to help them gain weight? It was suggested to me today by a friend of mine for our new paint filly. We free feed her to no tomorrow but she just doesn't have a great appetite. She hates beet pulp and could care less about her grain. She's over her respiratory thing so I don't think that's the issue. She's a nice perky horse with a great personality.

2. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

B-12 is an appetite stimulant, so yes.

Have you considered/treated for ulcers?

3. Kicks

Kicks Senior Member+

Ulcers would be my thought. Ulcers are quite common in horses. There are several products designed for horses but my Vet has me use cimetidine with Hubby's mare. It's quite inexpensive (about $7.00 for 10 days using generic/WalMart brand).

4. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

B-12 shots are so common in halter horses it's sickening. So many people give it to even healthy, non-ulcered horses just to get them to pack the weight on too. Have you tried a non-injectable version?

5. LotsOfSavvy

LotsOfSavvy Senior Member+

I didn't even know anything about using B12 in horses until yesterday? How many mg do they get for injectable / how often? (Feel free to PM me) Tell me more about the non-injectable versions...

I hadn't even thought about ulcers. Any decent easy treatments for that?

6. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

I'd go with what Kicks said for the Ulcers. As for the amounts of injectable, I never have and never plan on using the stuff, so Im certainly not the person to ask on it! ;)

7. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

"The vitamin is often administered to high performance horses to enhance performance, treat or prevent anemia, and stimulate appetite. So far, there is no evidence to support the belief that supplemental B 12 does any of these things, though severely anemic or heavily parasitized horses do apear to respond to it."
    "It should be pointed out that it is likely far more valuable to treat this type of horse through deworming and a proper diet than through B 12 injections, which only increase plasma concentrations of the vitamin for a short period of time."
    Signs of Deficiency/Toxicity: "Neither has been reported in horses todate."

8. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

B-12 injections have been administered by MD's to human patients for weight gain for quite some time. B-12 injections have been around the performance world since I can remember showing as even a Youth, it's also used a lot in track horses.

We've done Vitamin B Complex injections on performance horses in the past who had weight gain/maint. issues as well as minor lethargia etc. I currently have a 3 yr old on B Complex injections twice a week as suggested by 3 of my used vets for multiple reasons.

The B Complex we admin. contains B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 -- which all have proven necessary for multiple reasons within equine health.

B1 (Thiamine) helps maintain metabolism and energy and is great for maint. of nerve and muscle function. (high doses have been proven to reduce nervousness)

B2 (Riboflavin) aids in the production of energy within cells. It's also responsible for the growth and health of mucuos membranes, and skin, plus vision.

B3 (Nicotinamide) is vital for Red blood cell formation.

B5 (Pantothenate) plays a key role in energy metabolism and is needed in enzymes that carry and make fatty acids and glucose which supply energy.

B6 (Pyridoxine) is an essential aspect of amino acid metabolism and protein as well as the production and formation of haemoglobins. It also plays a role in red cell production.

And actual B12 (Cyanocobalamin) forms part of the coenzymes of which is essential for all cells; In particular, rapid turnover cells like red blood & intestinal cells as well as muscle.

The abscense of one has an effect on all others. BLAH-BLAH-BLAH my babble is over :)

My current ejectee started on 3ML bi-weekly and increased to 5ML bi-weekly. We're seeing a change in energy and decent increased weight gain. His work load has increased as well as muscle.
    From what I've read as well as been confirmed by my vets, equines can safely be administered up to 10ML bi-weekly...though personally, we have no plans of going that high.

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

B1 is actually pretty well synthesized by the horse if all the right ingredients are there, and that includes a healthy gut - no ulcers, plenty of beneficial digestive bacteria, and a quality diet coming in.

10. bbbarrelgirl

bbbarrelgirl Registered

Hi I was wondering what the injection is called that your giving? i have been trying to research giving a B12 type injection to my horse, she is very lethargic and doesn't gain muscle easily. We have already tried treating for ulcers and that is not the problem.