vintage saddle identification ( Simco? )

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by skipsangelheir, May 28, 2018.

1. skipsangelheir

skipsangelheir Registered

20180528_105512.jpg I was browsing an antique store yesterday, and happened upon this beautiful saddle. it was only 200, and my boyfriend is getting a new horse so we decided to pick it up. the only identifying marks are a worn "..mco" and an upside down 1992. it's on a rawhide wrapped wood tree, the leather is of decent quality. it seems to be a decently made older saddle. any info on model, year or price range would be appriciated! angel offered to model it for us!

Attached Files:

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can't really go by the latigo holder. Those are easy to change. Any markings up under the jockeys?

You have the saddle too far forward, sitting on the wither. Feel for the back of the scapula, put the saddle on so that the wooden bars, in the skirts, ride 1-2“ behind the scapula. Most regular treed saddles back then were narrower than those made today 61/2“ gullet, 6 3/4“ if you got lucky. This saddle may not be a really good fit on that GORGEOUS Buckskin~!! *wipes drool from chin* :D

It's probably just a 1960's-70's no-name manufactured saddle. Nothing wrong with that. They were made pretty decently back then, for the most part. The metal wraps were fashionable then, along with the lotus flower tooling, or stamping. Yours looks stamped but I would need close up pix to be sure.

Alsosusieq2 and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

My guess is a vintage Simco.

Yes, gorgeous horse and that saddle is no slouch either; it appears to have been well cared for:)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Not that I'm any expert... But it looks like one of those saddles that were sold in the farm catalogs in early '90s. I suspect they were made in Mexico. 1992 may be the year it was made? I don't think it's a Simco. Lacing on back side of fenders was never common on USA-made show saddles, although there were a few in the early '70s. Corriente brand is made in Mexico on Mexican trees, and they are decent quality. So if it's solid, fits the horse, and you like the way it rides, I don't see anything wrong with Mexican saddles. As they say, probably the same people have been going back and forth, making saddles on both sides of the border for a few decades now. lol

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I thought it was an early 70's, most likely, and Corrientes , although Mexican made, are more like American saddles that just happen to be put together By Mexicans, In Mexico, as aposed to “Mexican made Saddles“ made For and By Mexicans.
    If ya get my drift.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. paval

paval Senior Member

I don't think it's a Simco, but you could always send the photo to Crates and ask. Even though Crates doesn't have their own factory making the saddles any longer, the family that own Crates used to own the original Simco and I believe they are still involved. They've always been quick to answer questions.

Crates Leather Company, Inc
    Lookout Mountain, TN 37350

Office: 3908 Tennessee Ave.
    Chattanooga, TN 37409
    Phone: (423) 777-4140

Toll Free: 1-844-678-8351
    info@cratesleather.com

Alsosusieq2 likes this.