Vinegar, natural anti inflammatory??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by JumpsxGlory, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JumpsxGlory

JumpsxGlory Senior Member+

I heard from a member on here that normal vinegar, the stuff you can just grab from your kitchen, is a natural anti inflammatory! :eek: I looked it up online, and found artciles saying how it was as well (although it mentioned Apple Cider vingar :confused:) and also brought it up to my older brother and he said it did as well.

So... Is this for real or is it just some myth?? lol I just find it hard to believe that something so simple can help... If so, I'm going to start using it on Ollie back and hocks for any inflammtion since it's just vinegar. Plus it'll help keep the flies away! :D lol He'll smell horrible but if he's comfier then that's all that matter, despite the nasty smell haha

2. Deb

Deb Senior Member+

There is actually a thread further down on this page about it.

3. JumpsxGlory

Oh wow, thank you! I should check out those more often! lol

4. JumpsxGlory

That thread talked about giving it to them in their feed... Can you rub it on the sore areas also??

5. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Apple Cider Vinegar is much more beneficial than 'plain' vinegar (distilled white).

It can be used externally and internally.

6. JumpsxGlory

I will get some apple vinegar then from the store :) How exactly do I apply it? Just by hand and let it settle into the skin, soak it in a towel and apply to sore area??

7. Deb

Deb Senior Member+

I think you can rub it in. I still have to read the thread :)

8. AtomicTop

AtomicTop Senior Member

Yes, you can rub it in. Depends what you want to achieve, but I use ACV internally too to boost immune system. It contains vits/minerals, it's an anti inflammatory, antiseptic and all round good stuff for most ailments.

9. JumpsxGlory

I'll just rub it on then :) How much is too much do you think?? They'd be used on his back, plevic bone area and along his spine, as well as his hocks. Should I just cover the entire hock in it?

Man I am going to have some smelly horse! haha

10. AtomicTop

AtomicTop Senior Member

Personally, I'd just put a sponge in the vinegar and rub it over the whole affected area. However I think it would be of benefit to give it internally too, so it could reach the affected site via blood circulation. However, be careful to start slowly. My horses get 1/2 cup every day. It has helped with their arthritis.