Video of runaway horse with broken cart hits parked car

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Cloudy Coffee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

This isn't entirely true. It might work in a mild accident with no or just mild injury.

When a horse is badly injured or is really trapped in a driving accident, they can't always be harnessed up immediately, and even if they could be, it doesn't always work to 'undo' the accident.

They're not really that dumb. I've seen a number of horses over the years that were completely destroyed by a driving accident. They could not be harnessed, they could not be hitched, some of them would start to shake if they just saw a vehicle in the distance. You and an army couldn't safely hitch them up again.

It may be different with the lighter training vehicles, but I've seen some that were injured on the track, hitched up right away, and that just did not work. We always had a good supply of ruined horses from the track, in riding schools in upstate NY. They could not be driven any more. And I'm sure they were all handled by trainers who believe what you believe. The problem is it doesn't always work.

It's not really quite the same, either, when the accident involves a 1200 lb vehicle and three other horses, there is severe injury, the animal is trapped in the harness/vehicle.

Carriage driving horses are very often never able to be driven again after really bad accidents. I've looked at a number of horses in the last 18 months that were for sale cheap because they had been in a bad wreck and could not be driven any more.

This is not always because someone is less competent than you. Sometimes rehitching them does not work.

2. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

That looks like some kind of training sled. Noisy and horse was in a total panic. As to ever being driven again? He's bad lame,I think right fore,but he hit the hip hard and did the splits with the front legs.. Mental damage aside,I doubt he'll be healthy enough

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

And THAT is why I NEVER suggest teaching a horse to drive without blinders on....then again, even if he had them, it wouldn't of mattered.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

No telling what injuries he sustained in that fall. Running on adrenaline and hardly feeling pain right then.
    Where did this happen? Usually local newspapers post about these incidents.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Oh yeah... I, myself learned THAT lesson lol Thankfully it was a Mini that I easily subdued.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, DUH, of course, it was already covered in my post, that as long as they aren't seriously hurt, and MOST OF THE TIME, they are NOT seriously hurt. So, what's your beef?

THIS HORSE in the video wasn't seriously hurt, he got up and galloped off.

You have no experience with Carriage horses and it is not common for them to be in such serious accidents that they can't be driven again.

On the otherhand, IT IS common that people without enough experience with driving horses or the knowledge of how to train them, let them SIT out of sympathy, for an extended period of time AFTER an accident, so that the horse then fusses at being hooked again. This is bad for their mind and their muscles and THE HUMAN causes the horse, by lack of a clue, to not want to be hooked again.

My whole point, which went *woosh* right over your head; if the horse isn't seriously injured, hook him back up. Then he doesn't become traumatized, it is just one incident one day. We didn't have race horses EVER that could not be hooked after an accident except for one who slid on the ice, ( poor track maintainance ) while warming up to race, landed on her side and broke her back. Obviously she was not racing again.

I've had horses fall going a training mile in 2:10 and go head over tea kettles, break the cart, wooden shafts flying, frame of the cart bent. They got bunps, scrapes and bruises. We hook them back up and walk them around.

Not only is the walking (mild exercise) good for them after they got bunged up, it keeps the traumatic event from taking precedence in their life.
    When you have had 6 or 8 of them fall down with you, at speed, THEN, you can debate me on the subject.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018