Video of runaway horse with broken cart hits parked car

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Cloudy Coffee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Cloudy Coffee

Cloudy Coffee Registered

Hi, I am not a horse enthusiast but I felt the need to share this video after I had witnessed this incident involving a runaway horse with a broken cart, the damaged cart had hit into a parked car forcing the horse to loose balance and ending up on the road. I sadly did not find out if the horse was okay. What is your thoughts?

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

What is he dragging? It's not a cart.

That is scary stuff.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

We're not much into sensationalism tbh. It looks like an accident and I'm terrible sorry for the horse. My eyes aren't good, I can't really see what happened initially or what caused it. Sorry.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The horse didn't hit the car, the cart did. Horses don't take care of what they pull, that's the driver's job to steer them and the cart around. As soon as a horse is lose with a cart attached, he is going to ONLY think about getting his body past or through somewhere.

Where is this, England? Looks like what we in the states would call a Gypsy horse. Looks like the cart seat is dragging on the ground behind the cart. He'll be sore for a while, but he'll survive. Not a biggie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    meljean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

My thoughts are this is why it is bad to let a horse get loose on a road, because they could slip on the pavement or run into something. And that it was an accident, everyone makes mistakes, some more than others, glad the horse is ok.

Also, with driving training it is important to not get in a rush and skip steps. It takes a long time to properly go through the steps of driving training. Every little step needs to be done. Don't know if that's why this happened, that is just a general comment.

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Very scary accident. I actually own a pony that had something similar happen. According to his old owners he was being driven, driver fell out of the cart and the horse ran around loose in a panic for over an hour with the empty cart chasing him and running into things before they finally caught him. Who knows how bad it really was, but he certainly suffered for it.

With mine, it happened over 3 years ago and I wouldn't consider him sound for real work, he's comfortable being a pasture pet but even so gets massage since his right hip, stifle, and back get so stiff. So that horse may or may not make a full recovery. Sad.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

It's offensive. The owners of the horse probably didn't give you permission to post this, and they are probably very upset.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

As long as the horse get hooked right back up, the same day, or the next day and driven around, just a walk hooked to the cart, they don't become traumatized. It's when they get loose and panic like this then get left to sit that the idea that carts are scary sets in. People ruin the horse with kindness.

I've had many a horse fall, at speed, on the track. If you don't or can't get right to him before he gets up and kneel on his head to keep him down until you get assistance, and they run off with the cart, they always wreck it. Sometimes they fall again when they wreck it. None ever became traumatized because, none were really seriously injured, bruises, hair loss, skin rubs and skinned up joints is normal.

It's like when you fall off a horse, best to get right back in the saddle.

foxtrot likes this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Yeah I've thought that about my horse--the old owners just warned repeatedly that I should NEVER EVER drive him. EVER.

Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that he genuinely gets gimpy I'd probably eventually send him for driving training. But since it's clear he has an old injury AND is skittish to boot AND has who knows what baggage, it just doesn't seem worth it.

But I can definitely see how not sending a horse back to work after an accident makes it even worse. It would be like never riding a horse again because it got scared and bolted.

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Plus, in the future he will probably be absolutely terrified of pulling a cart (or whatever else a human might hitch it to)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.