Vetricyn for Mud Fever?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Sooner or Later, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Sooner or Later

Sooner or Later Senior Member+

Will that work? I've already got some. Never had to deal w/ it before.

Or should I try one of the other cures, like diaper rash?

At this point only the hair is gone, there are no open wounds/scabs.

Thanks!

2. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member+

Vetricyn works, but you have to use a LOT of it and that stuff isn't cheap. I speak from experience. :p

I've found that applying some MTG (Mane-Tail-Groom) helps the hair grow back very quicky. I just wear some rubber gloves and apply either from the bottle directly or put it into an empty spray bottle.

This not only helps heal the scabbies, but also helps the hair grow back. I would suggest that in between each application, you cleanse with a betadine-scrub or even basic iodine will work in a pinch, then rinse and let the skin dry (use a towel if you're pressed for time). Once dry, apply a light layer of the MTG. The key here is to let the area breath, but also to break the barrier between skin and moisture.

My gelding is very prone to mud fever and after LOTS of different methods, this worked the best. :)

3. Javanewt

Javanewt Senior Member+

If you are using MTG, which I love, and betadine, make sure the betadine is completely washed off. I thin I read that they react in a bad way.

Personally, I just spread on MTG. (I use my bare hand, but I don't mind the smell.) I might rub the area clean/dry with a damp/dry cloth, but if it's fairly clean, I don't bother.

If it gets bad, a mixture of Desitin (or generic) and triple antibiotic ointment can work. Some people add dex.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member+

I never used a lot on mud fever.

Sprayed it with a few sprays twice and day and notice results the next day. The kid to mud fever if you have to scrub the stuff you can off, then spray it, and repeat at least once every day.

I'm a HUGE Vetricyn fan and have had good success with it for mud fever and even thrust.

5. Jetson

Jetson Full Member

I have tried many cures and I have to say, the easiest and quickest was athletes foot spray. Shave off any hair remaining on the infected area. Scrub clean, then spray twice a day. I didnt even scrub after the first time, just dry towel cleaned and sprayed again. Terrible sores healed within 3 days and she was no longer tender to touch.

6. whbar158

whbar158 Senior Member

My horse has funky skin, my vet has this magic pink stuff you have to use gloves with that works magic for him. Other stuff works, but you really have to keep after it and it is a lot of work and takes awhile. The stuff I get from the vet works in just a few applications . I have used it on traditional scratches and also any time he gets hives on his legs (which he then scratches with his teeth and breaks them open and they get gross), it helps so much! I wish I knew what was in it though, but I think I used the last of it, and its in a different state and all it says on it is "scratches medicine"

7. Sooner or Later

Sooner or Later Senior Member+

Thanks, all! Since I already have the Vetericyn, and no MTG, I will continue to use it. It's only on one pastern, so not a real big area.

I appreciate your advice!