VET Wrap

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by dixygirl, Dec 9, 2007.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Senior Member

Hello,
    Why exactly do you wrap the colorful vet wraps around horse's legs and what type of cushion do you put underneath it please?

I also have some Sports Medicine boots but i never use them either because I don't know when exactly i should use them.

When should i use the colorful leg wraps and when should i use the sports medicine boots? How long should i leave them on at a time? Can either be left on for extended periods of time? Are the sports boots good to keep warm with a blanket in the winter also?
    thanks

2. Tatooed Lady

Tatooed Lady Senior Member+

Vet wrap is used for holding gauze pads and such on. Just don't wrap it TOO tight. I've also got some of it in blaze orange for trail riding. I figure anything that catches the eye gives me a better chance at not getting hit by a car or having some fool out to do a little hunting shoot my horse or me.

3. xxrider21xx

xxrider21xx Senior Member

4. Tymacs Girl

Tymacs Girl Senior Member+

xxrider21xx-vet doesn't always have to be used for injury protection. Some trainers at tracks use vet wrap on their racers for the races.

5. allopez

allopez Full Member

Vet wrap is mostly used over wounds but some people use it as support wraps also but I dont recommend to It has to be applied carefully such as polo wraps because it can easily do damage If applied correctly it can be left on for extended periods of time though
    The smb boots can be used for lungeing and riding to add support and protection It really helps young horses, older horses, and horses in hard work I like to use them whenever riding or lungeing because that part of the leg is very delicate but I try not to use them all the time They should not have to be used all the time but can be They also need to be applied correctly but if not they are not as damaging as vet wrap can be I do not recommend them for long time unless vet says so because they can become so hot being neoprene It justs depends on you If you have not used them you probably dont need to It just depends on your horses situation
    Amanda

6. xxrider21xx

xxrider21xx Senior Member

I know. If you re-read what I posted you will see that I said what it is primarly used for not everything it can be used for. :)

7. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

I would wager that MOST trainers have lots of vet wrap on hands for numerous reasons and nearly ALL have used vet wrap during races on nearly all of their horses (very few run without them). They serve as a minimal amount of support to the ankles and are also used to protect the legs from a horse nicking themselves during the race. One of the primary reasons is to prevent rundowns (they can rub the back of their fetlock raw on the track).

For wounds, typically vet wrap is used. For tendon strain/injury, sore shins, swelling, sore ankles, etc., standing bandages are more common.

ACC

8. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

I agree with everything said here... one more thing to add... vet wraps are great for wrapping feet.. along with whatever medication you are using depending on the problem!

As far as wrapping legs with vet wrap... you have to do this very carefully and have someone that knows what their doing teach you... if it is done to loosely or tightly it can cause major problems.

Just thought I'd add that we also use 3M patches or moleskin along with vetwrap for a horse that runs down.

9. dixygirl

dixygirl Senior Member

Actually I think what i have is called polo wrap instead of vet wrap. What's the difference if any please?

10. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

And I'll agree with all said here as well. Especially to be sure you really know what you are doing when you put one on.

ACC