Vet School...Is It Really As Hard To Get Into As Everyone Says?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by whisperbaby, Jun 22, 2011.

1. whisperbaby

whisperbaby Senior Member+

Title is pretty much self explainatory...some people say it's EXTREMELY difficult (people with 4.0 GPAs don't even make it in sometimes!), and make it sound like you shouldn't even try to get in...others make it sound just like getting into any other school...not too big of a deal...

Last year my GPA was like 3.45 and I wasn't even trying :blushing: this year it dropped to 3.1 :flaming: but I was sick for four or five months, and again I hardly tried...I'm very good at bio. also good at chem. not so hot in math, but if I'm in the regular classes, instead of advanced I do pretty well. I'm also great in English (writing, even though my typing doesn't suggest it sometimes...) and if I'm talking about something I like I can go on, and on, and on, and on...and I like science/animals :p (I just got done with sophomore year in HS, by the way)

So...is it really hard? Would I even have a chance at getting into one of them? (I'm really interested in UMN and ColoState) If I go through pre-vet, and can't get into vet school...what can I do? What kind of a diploma would I get?

2. allison finch

allison finch Senior Member+

Yes, it is hard to get into vet school. It is easier to get into medical school for a reason. There are MANY more medical schools than vet schools. You can simply try the best you can to get in. On your application, try to have things that set you above the crowd. Volunteer work, community service, working with the handicap....etc. Applications are not always based on grades alone.

My sister decided on vet school at age 39. She had been out of college a long time. She got accepted and is now a vet. All you can do is try.

I worry about how you say you just don't try.....Vet school will take everything you have, and more. If you are not a naturally motivated person, I worry about you being right for this. Math is very important! Start getting some tutoring. You need it to figure VERY difficult drug dosages. To make a wrong decision, here, is life threatening. Start motivating yourself before it's too late.

DIG into your work and show a change.

3. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

If you have your heart set on Vet school, and particular ones at that.... Email them for informational statistics on the recent classes they have accepted. This will give you an idea of what you will need to achieve in college. After that worry about getting your grades up now and doing well on your act and sat scores. Talk to college counselors to plan ahead for the classes you will need for a major that I'ds compatible with VEt school.
    Vet school is hard to get into....always has been! Why? Because there are fewer of them than medical schools.

4. AvidEquestrian

AvidEquestrian Senior Member+

A suggestion I was told, is to NOT go to a school with a vet program first. The law requires schools to take so many outside students from other schools applying. I know 3 girls who got in by not going to a school with a vet program, granted they were also exceptional students, but I think the odds helped.

5. allison finch

allison finch Senior Member+

If you don't make it in vet school, vet techs are sought after and make a decent living.

6. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

It is very very competitive. It is very unlikely you will get in with a 3.1 so I would defintely try to bring that back up! It really just depends. My cousin got into vet school. She had a perfect 4.0 and got almost a perfect score on the required exams for vet school but didn't have a ton of experience with a vet. My sister had a 4.0, worked with a vet for 3 years, didn't do that good on the exams, and she got accepted. Another person I know had EXTENSIVE experience with vets but she had a B average in college and she didn't get in. After seeing my sister go through the application process I would:
    -Get your GPA to at least a 3.5 by the time you want to apply. If you made a C in ANY science or math class, I would probably retake it and try to get a B or better.
    -Get a job with a vet or ask to shadow/volunteer with vets. My sister spent an entire summer shadowing an equine vet. She didn't get paid but she also worked for a small animal vet. Letters of recommendations are VERY important. The 2 main vets my sister worked with wrote her great letters and UGA actually called them and met with them in person about my sister so make sure the person really knows you and isn't someone that you worked with once or twice.
    It is hard to get in to and it is very competitive. If you want to be a vet, go for it, but you have to be dedicated.

As for not getting in, I would major in Biology. This way if you don't get into vet school you can try pretty much anything else in the medical or animal field.

7. whisperbaby

I'll try, again
    I'm taking a lot of science and math classes....AP bio...two math classes next year, I guess I'll be doing anatomy Senior year... I'm good at tests, if I studied I'd be awesome...ugh, must motivate self...
    So like...go to school for Biology or something?
    I'll see...I think I want to be a biologist/zoologist, my second choice would be vet ATM....vet tech is a bit lower on the list....by a lot.

And it makes sense that it's harder because they'res less vet schools...

8. RachelAnn223

RachelAnn223 Full Member

Being someone who has applied before and is applying right now, yes it is hard. But unfortunately there is no set "prescription" to get into school. Yes, some people don't get into vet school with a 4.0, but there are other factors that influence an admission committees decision. Did they have enough hours? Are they going to benefit the vet school? Most vet schools are looking for well rounded individuals, individuals who will bring something to their college. Vet school is also more forgiving then most med. schools. If you have a really rough time, or have extenuating circumstances they may look past it if you are doing fantastic now, and can prove to the school you can do it you may have a chance. A pre-vet program is not a major, Biology is a major, animal science is a major. If you were to go to undergrad you would have to choose a major(usually by sophomore year) and would get a Bachelor's if completed (don't get in). Also if you look at most statistics you will find close to 70% of students in a vet schools class will have their degree, so be shocked if you don't get in during undergrad. Do well in your science classes, heck do as well as you can in everything. But don't worry if you are not a 4.0 student. Make sure you stand out in other ways. Also work at a vet's office, most young people want to be vets but the moment they actually get in there and have to hold a dog the vet is euthanizing or having an animal die on the table they run. Know that this is not a job, it's a lifestyle, and vet school is tough and grueling. And loving animals is only going to get you so far.

I hope I don't deter you! Just wanted to let you know the facts. :)

If you need to talk about anything let me know, I'm usually around. :)

9. whisperbaby

^^^ yay bio! :D

10. Manahmanah

Manahmanah Senior Member+

Here, read this. It's specifically written to answer the exact questions you are asking.

http://animalsciences.rutgers.edu/undergraduate/ug-vet.html