Vaseline???

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by aqhaktberry3, Jan 11, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Senior Member

I have seen/heard of people putting vaseline or products like vaseline made specifically for horses on their horses muzzle and eye areas. I show in showmanship and i was wonder how you apply the vaseline and if there was a particular technique to it. Also this is just for show right and its used to give them a glossy look right?Thanks!:)

2. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

A friend of mine shows miniature horses and she uses baby oil gel or face makeup designed for horses. She had clear and black. Her horses were shaved with a disposable razor/shaving cream around their eyes and from the noseband of the show halter down their muzzle. It was only done for shows.

3. Rangers4-h

Rangers4-h Full Member

We have had a post like this before. But yes you can use it around there eyes and nose to make it look shiney. I use it to and i do not use alot and you can use your fingers and even it all out. You can also use it on the cheasnuts to soften them up and i even herd of people using it on bald spots, it helps the hair grow!

4. Entitled

Entitled Full Member

I'm not sure if that's true, because in the Arabian world vasaline is left on the muzzle and eyes at home to prevent the hair from growing, so that they are bald in those places.

5. Teaque

Teaque Senior Member

I've heard of putting it on nose, around eyes, and where ever else to make them shiney.
    Never heard of making their hair grow with it..

6. jjennings089

jjennings089 Full Member

I learned that if you put Vaseline on ergots and chestnuts it help them slough off. I have a draft with nasty ergots... even the vaseline trick doens't work on him though the farier cuts them off for me.

7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator

As far as tricks to applying it... only put it on right before you go in the ring because it will pick up every dust particle/shaving/etc possible! Also, less is more with the gloss... it should highlight/accentuate your horse. Ask someone you show with how to apply to best accentuate the breed you show. Some breeds do more than others

8. Kelsey5674

Kelsey5674 Senior Member

Do not put baby oil on the horses face or as a highlighter. I did one time to highlight my TBs bridle path. Sunburnt the skin to a crisp. Couldnt bridle him for a month.

9. crazyellowhorse

crazyellowhorse Senior Member

You can use it as everyone has said, but just a small piece of advice.....wash or wipe your hands well after applying. If you show SMS, you DON'T want greasy hands while trying to hold on to the lead.

10. Tnavas

Tnavas Full Member

Vaseline, baby oil all attract dust. I use Showsheen or Delva Spray sheen, I put it on a cloth and wipe the muzzle just before going in.

HAve also used Baby wipes, especially the ones that have a skin conditioner in them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009