Using Truck as Commuting Vehicle

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by TallOak10, May 17, 2017.

?

I drive my tow vehicle...

1. Pretty much only when I haul.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. For hauling and short commute.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. All over God's creation (LOTS of miles).

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

I have an issue. My car is a 2007 with 236k miles on it. My truck died last year. It was fifteen years old. My car is acting up... again (which is normal for its age) and I am going bat shirt crazy without a hauling vehicle. I have LOVED not having a car payment for a very long time, but that time is about to be over regardless. I am considering just getting a newER truck as my primary vehicle. I drive a LOT of miles every day. I am curious to know how many of you drive your tow vehicle as your every day vehicle. What advice can you offer? My last truck was purchased by my ex.

2. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I have two trucks rather than a truck and a car so mine get driven everywhere.

The dually I mainly using for pulling the trailer on the highway/freeway and for going to town. Depending on which town I go to get groceries, an hour or two hour drive once or twice a month.

The flat bed usually doesn't leave a 30 mile radius of home. But does everything. Pulls the trailer, check cows and hauls hay. (It has a hydraulic round bale spike on it)

3. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

My hauler is my daily, my baby and my pride and joy. I have another truck but it's mainly a farm truck (as in not insured, just sits in the yard unless we need it to do something dirty). I love my beast. My hauler is a big ole diesel and I feel great driving it. The only draw back is fuel economy. Fuel economy is a nonexistent dream. I do have a lead foot though and that doesn't help my cause. Can't help it though... the sound of that turbo whistle... just can't be beat.

Just cause it's pretty IMG_20170509_115530.jpg

AmyK, gaitedboomer and Kappa like this.
  4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I drive everywhere in my truck.
    If its nice out I'll take the bike to work, otherwise im in the truck.

5. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

Did you guys buy them new or used?

6. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

My 20 year old truck died recently and is awaiting repairs. I drove it daily before I got my new car, then it got driven only as a tow vehicle. I'm dying without my own truck and having to borrow my Dad's but at least I still have access to one. If I were done with school though, I would have a newer truck in the driveway LOL

I prefer my car for daily driving just because of the gas mileage and lower impact on the environment, but I would still drive my truck every now and then if she were running. Poor 'ole Bessie.

7. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

I've used diesel trucks as daily drivers for most of my life. Nothing wrong with it

JStorry likes this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I drive my big truck everywhere, but YIPPEE, going car shopping today. I love my truck, but she is getting older, and expensive to run, so going to give her a quieter life.

9. SMcGill

SMcGill Full Member

My tow vehicle is a 2008 Tacoma crew cab ( mostly flat towing )
    Has 306,000+ miles.
    We are going to get a 2500 truck for towing the two horse pull trailer.
    If we upgrade the trailer we will be covered!
    [​IMG]
    I bought it new!

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  10. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Used for me. New truck prices are outrageous imo
    Hell, used truck prices are outrageous too lol

If you do go for a truck as a daily i would make sure that with the payment you still have enough in the vehicle budget for plenty of fuel.
    Get reward/points card for whatever local stations you like/frequent and get a credit card that earns cash back on fuel if you don't have one already.
    And also try not to look at the pump when you fill up :ROFLMAO:

If you can do an oil change/grease job yourself you can save a ton of money too.

Oh and if you go with a newer diesel keep the short hops to a minimum and don't idle any more than you absolutely have too.

TallOak10 likes this.