Using horse clippers on dogs???

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by ArabianFanatic, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ArabianFanatic

ArabianFanatic Senior Member

After years of owning horse sized dogs, I recently adopted 2 little ankle biters :D One is a Maltese and the other is supposed to be a Morkie but we think she is a Cockapoo. This is the first time I have ever owned dogs that need to be groomed and I really don't want to spend $100 every month when I'm pretty sure I can do it myself.

My question is: Can you use horse clippers on dogs? I don't see why not but thought I would check the general consensus here. I don't own any myself as I have no need for horse clippers, but I have a friend who has an extra pair she would sell me. What type of clipper would be a good size? These are the huge clippers and I think they would be way to big for my little guys and fine trimming around the legs and such. One dog is 7lbs and the other is 10lbs.

Any suggestions on what clippers would be a good idea? I don't mind buying a new pair that will be suitable. Thanks for reading. :)

2. kittxthexcat

kittxthexcat Senior Member+

How big are they? I have mini clippers that would probably be ok for a small dog...but I'd think a full size horse clipper would be too big to accurately clip a small dog like that. (Like how they have different sizes of Furminators, from cat to horse) I would think the clipper would be too wide.

Edit: My mini clippers are for ears and stuff, but they were only $13, and they're just too cute LOL. Perfect for bridle path, beards, leg feather, and ears :D

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

i only took mine to a dog groomers once (Border Collies don't get haircuts usually) and she uses the same clippers i do for the horses (andis 2speed)

4. ArabianFanatic

Thanks! I will add that one to the list.

5. alwaysacolt

alwaysacolt Full Member

I've used a regular horse sized clippers on my sisters ****-tzu. I would imagine it's totally okay.

6. ArabianFanatic

Hmm, I may have to look into those. I have very tiny hands and don't think I could handle a huge bukly pair so mini sounds good to me. Plus my Lyme's affects my hands/fingers and I can't hold heavy things for long periods of time.

7. Sin003

Sin003 Senior Member

We have a shih-tzu/lhasa and my mom uses her horse clippers on her all of the time. . . We have the set of combs for the clippers so that she can cut her to certain lengths. It works just fine.

8. kittxthexcat

kittxthexcat Senior Member+

I love mine! :D 98% sure they're Wahl. The only thing they have trouble with so far is if I don't trim Lou's bridle path down a bit first with scissors. His bridle path is ungodly thick so even "real" clippers have trouble LOL.

9. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

Let's see. i've used sheep clippers on cows.. cow clippers on sheep.. and both on dogs:p

10. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

I am a dog groomed and use andis 2 speed clippers on my dog I also use similar clippers on my horse's face legs ears and such
    Couple tips. Use a longer blade than a 10. A 7 finishing blade is your shortest normal clip. Also remember it is MUCH easier to cut a dog. You must go WITH the hair growth (which is the opposite with horses) certain areas you must angle in certain ways to lessen the risk of cutting them.