Using a tens machine on horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mirage, Oct 4, 2017.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yes. I have used the Icy Hot Tens Machine on horses. It works best on their legs. I've practically sedated Foxy a couple of times with it. He never pees on concrete except when sedated and he did that twice with the tens. Horses are very sensitive so you can't crank it up high. You only go to where they feel comfortable with it just like with humans.

Mirage and VermilionStrife like this.
  2. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

That's pretty cool @Lopinslow .

The last time I used the machine on myself, my back and left arm were jumping like crazy. Felt to weird. Lol

3. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I would lean toward using one specifically designed for horses. My mom gets great relief from hers but the setting she uses is unbearable to me. How would the horse be able to tell you it's too much/too little? Also, do the pads for human TENS even stick to horse hair or penetrate it?

I have heard of people having great success with the vibrating plate therapy for their barrel horses around here.

Mirage likes this.
  4. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

IF it was a good idea, I would have started on level one for the first time. Then up it by one level every time after until the horse didn't look completely relaxed.
    I could only handle it on levels 3 and 4 depending in where the pads were. My husband does it on level 8.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  5. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

Duchess had her first electro-acupressure treatment done a few weeks ago and we were both a big fan. She was being sticky with her one lead under saddle, I thought it was stemming from her hind end but turns out she was sore in her neck and shoulder. At first for her shoulder she was wrinkling her nose but then her muscle relaxed and she yawned about 8 times in a row. She needs a follow up treatment here shortly but she was greatly improved after just one treatment. The girl I have do it is certified and only charges $50 an hour for four body parts which I think is a good deal. Plus she only lives about 5 minutes away. 4B905A3F-C7D3-49AE-9DD7-603B1831EC33.png

Mirage likes this.
  6. ChestersMomma

She's not in Northern Ohio by chance? That's not bad at all!

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Oh, they let you know when it is too much. Just watch their eyes, when they start to bug out, you tone it down. As to the hair, that's why I really only use it on their legs because I can wrap it on. I helped a friend's horse with it and they were able to show the horse one more year. We put them on the inside of is knees. I picked those spots because I felt warmth there. Unfortunately it turned out to have cancer that spread through its whole body so it had to be put down. Horse was only in its teens.

Each human is different with what they can handle with a tens. I can depending on where the injury is, handle up to the max of 40 on my back and knee. But, places like near my neck no. I have them stop once my muscles start jumping. Its not going to work well if my muscles can't relax while it is going.

Not a fan of the vibrating plate. Feels good, but other than that I have never seen any real improvement in a horse. Might help with tense muscles, can see barrel horses needing to relax, but that's the only benefit I can see. Never helped me when I stood on it with my horses and I do have leg issues myself including my legs and feet swelling.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
  8. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

She’s in Mid-Michigan

9. ChestersMomma

First - If you got a notification that I edited your post it was because your reply somehow got stuffed into the quote. I fixed it so I could quote you. :)

Interesting perspective. I suppose most horses would give you some sort of reaction even if it's not painful, though? I know the first time I felt one it was during my PT for a (very) broken leg. The PT turned it on and I'm sure my eyes bugged a bit because I had never felt that before. It wasn't near on the right setting yet, though. I'm not arguing with you... just sort of thinking it through.

Haven't had the chance to try the vibrating plate. I imagine it to be like sitting in those massage chairs that vibrate. It soothes and relaxes me but it's certainly not provider the benefit of a real massage or doing what a TENS would.

LoveTrail likes this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I noticed that too late to fix it. Usually I don't do that with the quotes. Thanks.

For the ones that I have delt with the tens, bugging out means it is just a tad too high. When I have missed it with Foxy he would kind of pull back and sometimes lift his leg up in the air within a minute or so. The Icy Hot Tens changes how it pulses, fast versus slow. Slow tends to be a bit more intense. Why when a person gets them like at PT they wait before walking away to make sure its not too intense later.

ChestersMomma likes this.