Using a tens machine on horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mirage, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

We just got a tens machine from HEB. It's amazing! I'm going to start my horses in real work again soon, slowly bringing them back to running barrels. Royal really needs her back built up. Obviously the goal is not to make them sore, but would the tens machine be of any benefit to them?
    How would I keep the pads on them? Would they think it's shocks like an electric fence? To me it doesn't feel like a shock.

2. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

They make horse sized ones called equipulse. My horses have to be drugged to tolerate it.

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Find a Magnawave person in your area

EnglishRider234 likes this.
  4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

You should not just slap a tens unit on. You have to know how to use it and which muscles and where to put it. You can cause muscle spasms and soreness, which will cause problems exacerbating patterns of movement causing more problems. I would talk to my vet, a lameness/performance/ track vet, about options like this. I would consider massage. My personal experience, many moons ago when tens were used by medical professionals only and not available to the public, was that it wasn't all that effective for me.

gaitedboomer likes this.
  5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

@LoveTrail has experience using a tens on horses I think? She might have some input.

6. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Agree a TENS unit is not for someone with little-to-experience in using them on a horse.

A few years back the farm equine vet used a TENS unit on one of my horses and he was worse after she used it.

I love them for myself but my holistic vet/equine chiro accomplishes a lot more without needing a TENS unit.

7. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Ok. It was just a thought. I don't think having to drug my horses to be able to use it would help anyways even if it was a good idea.

I thought magnawave was vibrations. Lol. Guess I should look into things more.

I'll just do things like I have always done then. Build workouts up slowly, cold hose legs, and use liniment when needed.

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I second the magnawave.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I've seen it used. Some horses benefit, others don't. It's not for the average person to go around slapping it on though.

And of course not all tens machines are created equal. I've had great success with a very different kind of tens machine on horses. Though being trained in its application and use is of utmost importance.

Circle C likes this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Granted I have not had it used on me, but April LOVES it. the first time I had her done, her eyes were really big with a WTH look on her face... within about 1.5 minutes, I swear her eyes rolled back in her head and she about melted right there in the isleway. The lady got done on her hip, and moved elsewhere. April wasn't done with her hip yet, and kept moving herself to get the lady back to where she wanted her. lol

a quick video of one of her sessions this spring. you can see how it really makes the muscles jump

Mirage likes this.